[ANN] Verify Startup Disk Applescript (Tiger only)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
      This Applescript uses Disk Utility to check integrity of your startup
      disk. It's a good idea to do this every week or so: many users do it
      only when experiencing problems but, since disk damage can be
      incremental, a repair can be more effective when done early.

      You can do this manually with Disk Utility; Verify Startup Disk saves
      a step, and can be automated with a scheduling utility. I have
      Macaroni (bargain shareware at macupdate.com and versiontracker.com)
      run it every Saturday.

      Keeps a log in ~/Library/Logs of the last 50 checks.

      Free, in the Files section here.

      Users on OS 7.5-9x can do the same thing with AutoCheck (link
      in the Links section here).

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
        >John Rethorst wrote:
        >
        >This Applescript uses Disk Utility to check integrity of your
        >startup disk. It's a good idea to do this every week or so

        A better idea would be to restart your Mac at least once a week.
        Tiger runs the file system integrity check each time you restart.
        Restarting also cleans out Temporary files created by various
        programs.
        --

        Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006

          > >John Rethorst wrote:
          > >
          > >This Applescript uses Disk Utility to check integrity of your
          > >startup disk. It's a good idea to do this every week or so
          >
          > A better idea would be to restart your Mac at least once a week.
          > Tiger runs the file system integrity check each time you restart.
          > Restarting also cleans out Temporary files created by various
          > programs.

          Isn't that fsck rather than Disk Utility's check? In
          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214,
          Disk Utility is the recommended check of the two "whenever
          possible", i.e. when you don't need to start up in single user
          mode, although I'm not clear on how the checks differ. BTW
          I was wrong to say that Verify Startup Disk simply needs Tiger;
          it needs at least 10.4.3.
        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
            >John Rethorst wrote:
            >
            >Isn't that fsck rather than Disk Utility's check? In
            >http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214, Disk Utility
            >is the recommended check of the two "whenever possible", i.e. when
            >you don't need to start up in single user mode, although I'm not
            >clear on how the checks differ.

            It's the same either way. The second half of that technote lists 3
            methods of checking the file system, the third being fsck, and they
            don't indicate that the results are different from the first two
            methods using Disk Utility.
            --

            Bob Stern