Free WP won't download to new macbook pro

  • Marla Weston
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8 4:59 PM
      Hello. I would appreciate any advice on getting WP installed on my
      new macbook pro (with intel core duo). I've tried the download of
      3.5e from the CSUSB website and when I try to run the "Install
      WordPerfect..." file, I get an error message. I've also tried
      downloading Stuffit and installed from the WordPerfectKit.sit file on
      the Radix Cosulting ftp site, which told me that the unstuffed volumes
      were locked. Is this a hopeless battle because of the Intel, or am I
      just missing something? Thanks in advance.

      Marla Weston (New to Macs)
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8 6:22 PM
        >Marla Weston wrote:
        >
        >Is this a hopeless battle because of the Intel?

        Yes. WordPerfect Mac is a Classic application. Intel Mac's cannot
        run Classic.

        I like Nisus Writer for OS X, but it lacks many of the advanced
        features of WordPerfect and MS Word.

        If you're used to WordPerfect for Windows, you could install it in
        the Windows environment with Parallels, but you'd also need a copy of
        Windows. I believe Parallels can run older versions of Windows as
        well as XP. You should be able to find an older version of Windows
        cheap.
        --

        Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8 6:59 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marla Weston" <marlatsinghua@...> wrote:

          > Hello. I would appreciate any advice on getting WP installed on my
          > new macbook pro (with intel core duo).

          As Randy and Bob point out, Classic applications such as WordPerfect
          won't run on Intel Macs, as shipped. Third-party solutions are in
          development; see for example

          http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/

          John R.
        • Marla Weston
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8 7:00 PM
            Thanks, Bob and Randy. Parallels (which I had not heaqrd about) looks like a much nicer
            option than Boot Camp, which someone else suggested. Would you agree?

            Marla

            > >Marla Weston wrote:
            > >
            > >Is this a hopeless battle because of the Intel?
            >
            > Yes. WordPerfect Mac is a Classic application. Intel Mac's cannot
            > run Classic.
            >
            > I like Nisus Writer for OS X, but it lacks many of the advanced
            > features of WordPerfect and MS Word.
            >
            > If you're used to WordPerfect for Windows, you could install it in
            > the Windows environment with Parallels, but you'd also need a copy of
            > Windows. I believe Parallels can run older versions of Windows as
            > well as XP. You should be able to find an older version of Windows
            > cheap.
            > --
            >
            > Bob Stern

          • Marla Weston
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8 7:03 PM

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marla Weston" <marlatsinghua@> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello. I would appreciate any advice on getting WP installed on my
              > > new macbook pro (with intel core duo).
              >
              > As Randy and Bob point out, Classic applications such as WordPerfect
              > won't run on Intel Macs, as shipped. Third-party solutions are in
              > development; see for example
              >
              > http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/
              >
              > John R.

              Thanks, John.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8 7:10 PM
                >Marla Weston wrote:
                >
                >Parallels (which I had not heaqrd about) looks like a much nicer
                >option than Boot Camp, which someone else suggested. Would you
                >agree?

                Yes.
                --

                Bob Stern
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8 10:48 PM
                  Marla Weston said:

                  >Thanks, Bob and Randy. Parallels (which I had not heaqrd about) looks
                  >like a much nicer
                  >option than Boot Camp, which someone else suggested. Would you agree?

                  Definitely. In fact, I see it as infinately superior because you don't
                  have to reboot to switch OS's, Parallels allows you to run Windows in its
                  own window while you are running OS X.

                  However, for now, both Parallels and Boot Camp are beta products, so they
                  aren't necessarily as polished or reliable as they could be.

                  The biggest downside to running Parallels is that you have to purchase a
                  commercial copy of Windows itself, which isn't cheap.

                  Randy B. Singer

                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10 7:26 AM
                    There are some non-MS Word alternatives available for OSX. One that I
                    like particularly well is Mellel. (http://www.redlers.com). I think
                    it runs $49, and you can download it and try it out first. It's not
                    WordPerfect, and it has some weaknesses (import and export capability
                    is limited to Word and RTF, for example), but it has some solid
                    features, is continually being developed, and has some of the best
                    customer support I've seen. If you buy it, you're likely to get free
                    updates for quite awhile. It's a good product, and isn't a memory or
                    disk hog.

                    "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                    warfare."
                    --James Madison, 1793

                    Rick Albright
                    logres@...
                  • krcstudio
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 14 11:05 AM
                      Hello-
                      The MacBook Pro was my first MAC. So this has been a big change after
                      using PCs 24/7 for two decades.
                      I was disappointed that WP would not run on the new MacTels as well. I
                      turned to StevePerfect which has been good. You may want to take a
                      look at that.
                      Also, if you haven't already found it the right click is CTRL-click.
                      Good luck.

                      <marlatsinghua@...> wrote:

                      > Hello. I would appreciate any advice on getting WP installed on my
                      > new macbook pro (with intel core duo). I've tried the download of
                      > 3.5e from the CSUSB website and when I try to run the "Install
                      > WordPerfect..." file, I get an error message. I've also tried
                      > downloading Stuffit and installed from the WordPerfectKit.sit file on
                      > the Radix Cosulting ftp site, which told me that the unstuffed volumes
                      > were locked. Is this a hopeless battle because of the Intel, or am I
                      > just missing something? Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Marla Weston (New to Macs)

                    • Randy B. Singer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 14 12:02 PM
                        krcstudio said:

                        >turned to StevePerfect which has been good.

                        StevePerfect was one of the first projects created by a nice kid who was
                        an undergraduate at U.C. Davis. He came by the Davis Mac User Group
                        (DMUG) meeting and presented it to us. This was several years ago. At
                        the time it was an extremely basic product. As I recall, it only handles
                        plain text format, with all that format's limitations. Has he continued
                        to develop it, and is it now a serious word processor?

                        StevePerfect (free)
                        http://homepage.mac.com/stevenmassey/stevesoftware/