Re: sort question

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
      Is that a b c d across, e.g. horizontally, like this:
      aaaa bbbb cccc dddd
      aaaa bbbb cccc dddd
      aaa bbb ccc ddd

      ??

      In that case, I wouldn't do it with sort, but with Tables. IF a, b, c, and d are
      separated by tabs or commas, just select all and then do text to table. Then if
      your table came out ok, with four columns (a, b, c, and d), you can click on
      column c and insert a new column in front of it. Then select everything in a,
      copy, select the new blank column, and paste. Then delete the old column a
      and you'll have b a c d. (You could do the same thing by copying/pasting
      everything into Excel, then moving the columns around, then
      copy/paste-special back into WordPerfect).

      Note that if the original elements of the file are separated by anything other
      than comma or tab, or have more than one comma or tab, you'll have to do
      space-space-space to be <tab>, and so forth, and keep doing that till you
      have only one <tab> (or comma) separating each block of text - e.g.

      If that doesn't do what you want, I have some other tricks up my sleeve.....

      Pam

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, luskin@... wrote:

      > I have used the sort tool, and it worked perfectly, however we need one
      more
      > thing. The items in the sorted file look like this:
      >
      > a b c d.
      >
      > How can we rearrange the file, so that the items appear
      >
      > b a c d?
      >
      > Is it possible to rearrange the fields some way? The file is pretty long,
      > doing it by hand really is not an option.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Michael B. Luskin

    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2006
        At 060607 21:15 -0400, luskin@... wrote:

        >I have used the sort tool, and it worked perfectly, however we need
        >one more thing. The items in the sorted file look like this:
        > a b c d.
        >
        >How can we rearrange the file, so that the items appear
        > b a c d?

        When I read this question, I could not immediately visualize what you
        are asking but figured someone else might see what you mean. With
        the passage of a week without an answer, I infer that most readers
        were in the same boat, so let's try for clarification. WP's Sort is
        pretty powerful, but at its simplest (default) will simply order a
        list (where list items are delimited by end-of-line/new-line codes)
        alphabetically. Is that what you mean? If so,

        (1) Are your "a b c d" tab-delimited fields?

        (2) Are a and b something like firstname and lastname, and you want
        to reverse the order?

        There are different ways to accomplish such ends, but before we go
        into the means we need to be clear about the ends.
        --
        John K