sort question

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
      I have used the sort tool, and it worked perfectly, however we need one more
      thing. The items in the sorted file look like this:

      a b c d.

      How can we rearrange the file, so that the items appear

      b a c d?

      Is it possible to rearrange the fields some way? The file is pretty long,
      doing it by hand really is not an option.

      Thank you.

      Michael B. Luskin
    • pjandlar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
        Is that a b c d across, e.g. horizontally, like this:
        aaaa bbbb cccc dddd
        aaaa bbbb cccc dddd
        aaa bbb ccc ddd

        ??

        In that case, I wouldn't do it with sort, but with Tables. IF a, b, c, and d are
        separated by tabs or commas, just select all and then do text to table. Then if
        your table came out ok, with four columns (a, b, c, and d), you can click on
        column c and insert a new column in front of it. Then select everything in a,
        copy, select the new blank column, and paste. Then delete the old column a
        and you'll have b a c d. (You could do the same thing by copying/pasting
        everything into Excel, then moving the columns around, then
        copy/paste-special back into WordPerfect).

        Note that if the original elements of the file are separated by anything other
        than comma or tab, or have more than one comma or tab, you'll have to do
        space-space-space to be <tab>, and so forth, and keep doing that till you
        have only one <tab> (or comma) separating each block of text - e.g.

        If that doesn't do what you want, I have some other tricks up my sleeve.....

        Pam

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, luskin@... wrote:

        > I have used the sort tool, and it worked perfectly, however we need one
        more
        > thing. The items in the sorted file look like this:
        >
        > a b c d.
        >
        > How can we rearrange the file, so that the items appear
        >
        > b a c d?
        >
        > Is it possible to rearrange the fields some way? The file is pretty long,
        > doing it by hand really is not an option.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Michael B. Luskin

      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2006
          At 060607 21:15 -0400, luskin@... wrote:

          >I have used the sort tool, and it worked perfectly, however we need
          >one more thing. The items in the sorted file look like this:
          > a b c d.
          >
          >How can we rearrange the file, so that the items appear
          > b a c d?

          When I read this question, I could not immediately visualize what you
          are asking but figured someone else might see what you mean. With
          the passage of a week without an answer, I infer that most readers
          were in the same boat, so let's try for clarification. WP's Sort is
          pretty powerful, but at its simplest (default) will simply order a
          list (where list items are delimited by end-of-line/new-line codes)
          alphabetically. Is that what you mean? If so,

          (1) Are your "a b c d" tab-delimited fields?

          (2) Are a and b something like firstname and lastname, and you want
          to reverse the order?

          There are different ways to accomplish such ends, but before we go
          into the means we need to be clear about the ends.
          --
          John K