Re: [wpmac] Re: OT: Spellcheck dictionaries

  • S Zaveloff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
      John Rethorst wrote:
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:
      >> Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
      >> chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
      >> processors?
      >
      > WordPerfect can use the excellent and free Excalibur dictionary through
      > the Word Services feature. Versions of Excalibur are available for Mac
      > OS 6.0.5 (including Mac Plus) through OSX.

      Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
      on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
      nothing to do with word processing.

      Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
      P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
      Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
      http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

      "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
      judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
        > on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
        > nothing to do with word processing.

        Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
        incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
        and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
        now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

        I would recommend Excalibur 3.0.2, which requires OS 7.1 or later,
        including Classic, on a PPC with Appearance Manager (which was included
        in OS 8 and later), or Excalibur 2.6, for OS 6.0.5 or later and a PPC or 68k
        Mac.

        John R.
      • S Zaveloff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
          John Rethorst wrote:

          > Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
          > incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
          > and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
          > now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

          I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
          which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
          in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
          I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
          the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
          nothing has changed.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

            > I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
            > which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
            > in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
            > I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
            > the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
            > nothing has changed.

            4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
            after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
            same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.

            Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
            Netscape 7.0).

            John R.
          • S Zaveloff
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              John Rethorst wrote:

              > 4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
              > after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
              > same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.
              >
              > Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
              > Netscape 7.0).

              Thanks. That did it.