Re: OT: Spellcheck dictionaries

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
      > chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
      > processors?

      WordPerfect can use the excellent and free Excalibur dictionary through
      the Word Services feature. Versions of Excalibur are available for Mac
      OS 6.0.5 (including Mac Plus) through OSX.

      The following list of Excalibur dictionaries (available at the link in the
      Links section here) includes biomed, medical, and nanoplankton.
      Following that list, as reference, are lists of WP's own dictionaries/
      thesauri/hyphenation modules, all available in the Files section here:

      Excalibur:

      Atomic-Elements-ReadMe.txt
      Atomic-Elements.sit.hqx
      biomed-words.hqx
      British-2.2-ReadMe.txt
      British-2.2.hqx
      Catalan-Dictionary-3.0.hqx
      Catalan-ReadMe.txt
      Danish_Dictionary.sit.hqx
      Danish_README.txt
      Dico-Francais-sea.hqx
      Dutch-8-sea.hqx
      Dutch8-README.txt
      German-2.1-ReadMe.txt
      German-2.1.hqx
      German-README.txt
      German_Dictionary.sit.hqx
      Haitian_Creole_Dictionary.hqx
      Haitian_Creole_README.txt
      HTML-Dictionary-1.1.sit.bin
      HTML-Dictionary-README.txt
      Indonesian-ReadMe.txt
      Indonesian_Dictionary20.sit
      Italian-ReadMe.txt
      Italian_A-B_words.sit.hqx
      Italian_A-B_words_ReadMe.txt
      Italian_Dictionary.sit.hqx
      Italian_Supplement.sit.hqx
      Italian_Supplement_ReadMe.txt
      lexiquemath-ReadMe.txt
      lexiquemath1.0.sit.hqx
      LsdSpell-Readme.txt
      LsdSpell.sit.hqx
      Manx-Gaelic-Dictionary.sit.hqx
      Manx-Gaelic-README.txt
      Medical-Dictionary-README.txt
      Medical-Dictionary.sit.hqx
      Nannoplankton-ReadMe.txt
      Nannoplankton.hqx
      Nederlands-ReadMe.txt
      Nederlands.hqx
      Norwegian-README.txt
      Norwegian_Dictionary2.2.sit.hqx
      Portuguese-ReadMe.txt
      Portuguese.hqx
      README-FIRST.txt
      RSV-Dictionary.hqx
      RSV-ReadMe.txt
      Spanish-Dictionary.hqx
      Spanish-README.txt
      Standard-Dictionary-2.2.hqx
      Standard-Dictionary-ReadMe.txt
      Swedish-ReadMe.txt
      Swedish.hqx

      WP:

      Language Files A-F

      Césure (FRA)
      Corretor (BRA)
      Dictionary (AUS)
      Dictionary (CAN)
      Dictionnaire (CAN)
      Dictionnaire (FRA)
      Hífenização (BRA)
      Oikoluku (FIN)
      Orddeling (DNK)
      QuickCorrect List (AUS)
      Stavekontrol (DNK)
      Synonymes (CAN)
      Synonymes (FRA)
      Synonymordbog (DNK)
      Thesaurus (AUS)
      Thesaurus (BRA)
      Thesaurus (CAN)
      WPCC20FR
      WPFRHYD

      Language Files G-N

      Afbreking (NLD)
      Dictionary (GBR)
      Morphology (UK)
      ordliste (NOR)
      Oroasafn (ISL)
      Ortografia (ITA)
      QuickCorrect List (GBR)
      Rules (UK)
      Silbentrennung (DEU)
      Sillabazione (ITA)
      Sinonimi (ITA)
      Synonymordliste (NOR)
      Thesaurus (DEU)
      Thesaurus (GBR)
      Thesaurus (NLD)
      Woordenlijst (NLD)
      Wörterbuch (DEU)
      WPCC20DE
      WPDEHTD
      WPDEHYD

      Language Files O-Z

      Avstavning (SWE)
      Dictionary (USA)
      Guinado (ESP)
      Morphology (USA)
      Ordlista (SWE)
      Ortogáfica (PRT)
      Ortografía (ESP)
      Ortografia Català (ESP)
      Ortografía Galego (ESP)
      QuickCorrect List (USA)
      Rules (USA)
      Sinónimos (ESP)
      Speller (ZAF)
      Synonymordlista (SWE)
      Thesaurus (CHE)
      Thesaurus (USA)
      Wörterbuch (CHE)
      WPCC20ES
      WPESHYD

      Language Files aux.

      Language Tools Readme
      Speech Dictionary
      ST Utility
    • S Zaveloff
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
        John Rethorst wrote:
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:
        >> Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
        >> chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
        >> processors?
        >
        > WordPerfect can use the excellent and free Excalibur dictionary through
        > the Word Services feature. Versions of Excalibur are available for Mac
        > OS 6.0.5 (including Mac Plus) through OSX.

        Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
        on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
        nothing to do with word processing.

        Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
        P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
        Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
        http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

        "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
        judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
          > on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
          > nothing to do with word processing.

          Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
          incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
          and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
          now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

          I would recommend Excalibur 3.0.2, which requires OS 7.1 or later,
          including Classic, on a PPC with Appearance Manager (which was included
          in OS 8 and later), or Excalibur 2.6, for OS 6.0.5 or later and a PPC or 68k
          Mac.

          John R.
        • S Zaveloff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            John Rethorst wrote:

            > Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
            > incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
            > and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
            > now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

            I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
            which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
            in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
            I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
            the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
            nothing has changed.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

              > I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
              > which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
              > in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
              > I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
              > the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
              > nothing has changed.

              4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
              after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
              same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.

              Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
              Netscape 7.0).

              John R.
            • S Zaveloff
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                John Rethorst wrote:

                > 4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
                > after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
                > same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.
                >
                > Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
                > Netscape 7.0).

                Thanks. That did it.