OT: Spellcheck dictionaries

  • S Zaveloff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
      Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
      chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
      processors?
      Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
      P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
      Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
      http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

      "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
      judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
        > chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
        > processors?

        WordPerfect can use the excellent and free Excalibur dictionary through
        the Word Services feature. Versions of Excalibur are available for Mac
        OS 6.0.5 (including Mac Plus) through OSX.

        The following list of Excalibur dictionaries (available at the link in the
        Links section here) includes biomed, medical, and nanoplankton.
        Following that list, as reference, are lists of WP's own dictionaries/
        thesauri/hyphenation modules, all available in the Files section here:

        Excalibur:

        Atomic-Elements-ReadMe.txt
        Atomic-Elements.sit.hqx
        biomed-words.hqx
        British-2.2-ReadMe.txt
        British-2.2.hqx
        Catalan-Dictionary-3.0.hqx
        Catalan-ReadMe.txt
        Danish_Dictionary.sit.hqx
        Danish_README.txt
        Dico-Francais-sea.hqx
        Dutch-8-sea.hqx
        Dutch8-README.txt
        German-2.1-ReadMe.txt
        German-2.1.hqx
        German-README.txt
        German_Dictionary.sit.hqx
        Haitian_Creole_Dictionary.hqx
        Haitian_Creole_README.txt
        HTML-Dictionary-1.1.sit.bin
        HTML-Dictionary-README.txt
        Indonesian-ReadMe.txt
        Indonesian_Dictionary20.sit
        Italian-ReadMe.txt
        Italian_A-B_words.sit.hqx
        Italian_A-B_words_ReadMe.txt
        Italian_Dictionary.sit.hqx
        Italian_Supplement.sit.hqx
        Italian_Supplement_ReadMe.txt
        lexiquemath-ReadMe.txt
        lexiquemath1.0.sit.hqx
        LsdSpell-Readme.txt
        LsdSpell.sit.hqx
        Manx-Gaelic-Dictionary.sit.hqx
        Manx-Gaelic-README.txt
        Medical-Dictionary-README.txt
        Medical-Dictionary.sit.hqx
        Nannoplankton-ReadMe.txt
        Nannoplankton.hqx
        Nederlands-ReadMe.txt
        Nederlands.hqx
        Norwegian-README.txt
        Norwegian_Dictionary2.2.sit.hqx
        Portuguese-ReadMe.txt
        Portuguese.hqx
        README-FIRST.txt
        RSV-Dictionary.hqx
        RSV-ReadMe.txt
        Spanish-Dictionary.hqx
        Spanish-README.txt
        Standard-Dictionary-2.2.hqx
        Standard-Dictionary-ReadMe.txt
        Swedish-ReadMe.txt
        Swedish.hqx

        WP:

        Language Files A-F

        Césure (FRA)
        Corretor (BRA)
        Dictionary (AUS)
        Dictionary (CAN)
        Dictionnaire (CAN)
        Dictionnaire (FRA)
        Hífenização (BRA)
        Oikoluku (FIN)
        Orddeling (DNK)
        QuickCorrect List (AUS)
        Stavekontrol (DNK)
        Synonymes (CAN)
        Synonymes (FRA)
        Synonymordbog (DNK)
        Thesaurus (AUS)
        Thesaurus (BRA)
        Thesaurus (CAN)
        WPCC20FR
        WPFRHYD

        Language Files G-N

        Afbreking (NLD)
        Dictionary (GBR)
        Morphology (UK)
        ordliste (NOR)
        Oroasafn (ISL)
        Ortografia (ITA)
        QuickCorrect List (GBR)
        Rules (UK)
        Silbentrennung (DEU)
        Sillabazione (ITA)
        Sinonimi (ITA)
        Synonymordliste (NOR)
        Thesaurus (DEU)
        Thesaurus (GBR)
        Thesaurus (NLD)
        Woordenlijst (NLD)
        Wörterbuch (DEU)
        WPCC20DE
        WPDEHTD
        WPDEHYD

        Language Files O-Z

        Avstavning (SWE)
        Dictionary (USA)
        Guinado (ESP)
        Morphology (USA)
        Ordlista (SWE)
        Ortogáfica (PRT)
        Ortografía (ESP)
        Ortografia Català (ESP)
        Ortografía Galego (ESP)
        QuickCorrect List (USA)
        Rules (USA)
        Sinónimos (ESP)
        Speller (ZAF)
        Synonymordlista (SWE)
        Thesaurus (CHE)
        Thesaurus (USA)
        Wörterbuch (CHE)
        WPCC20ES
        WPESHYD

        Language Files aux.

        Language Tools Readme
        Speech Dictionary
        ST Utility
      • S Zaveloff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
          John Rethorst wrote:
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:
          >> Does anyone know of any technical spellcheck dictionaries (medical,
          >> chemical, etc.) that can be used with WordPerfect or other word
          >> processors?
          >
          > WordPerfect can use the excellent and free Excalibur dictionary through
          > the Word Services feature. Versions of Excalibur are available for Mac
          > OS 6.0.5 (including Mac Plus) through OSX.

          Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
          on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
          nothing to do with word processing.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the information (David too) but what is Word Services? Clicking
            > on the link in the Excalibur manual brings up a strange page that has
            > nothing to do with word processing.

            Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
            incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
            and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
            now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

            I would recommend Excalibur 3.0.2, which requires OS 7.1 or later,
            including Classic, on a PPC with Appearance Manager (which was included
            in OS 8 and later), or Excalibur 2.6, for OS 6.0.5 or later and a PPC or 68k
            Mac.

            John R.
          • S Zaveloff
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              John Rethorst wrote:

              > Word Services is an Apple protocol that allows one application to
              > incorporate the features of another. To use, go to Prefs > Word Services
              > and add the application. Click Done and exit Prefs. Excalibur should
              > now be available at the bottom of WP's Tools menu, as "Check Spelling".

              I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
              which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
              in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
              I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
              the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
              nothing has changed.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote:

                > I can't get it to work. I had already downloaded Excalibur 4.0.2,
                > which says it is Word Services aware. When I click on Word Services
                > in the WP Preferences, I can navigate to the Excalibur folder. When
                > I click on it, Excalibur-manual and Excalibur.app show. I highlight
                > the app and click on Select and Contents comes up. I cancel and
                > nothing has changed.

                4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
                after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
                same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.

                Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
                Netscape 7.0).

                John R.
              • S Zaveloff
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                  John Rethorst wrote:

                  > 4.0.2 is an application of the OSX package type, a type developed
                  > after WP. WP can't connect to a package word service app for the
                  > same reason it can't connect to an OSX browser for URL links.
                  >
                  > Excalibur 3.0.2 works fine (and, for a browser, so do iCab and
                  > Netscape 7.0).

                  Thanks. That did it.