Problem printing Wordperfect docs in Classic on Mac minis

  • soehnk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hello,
      In our publishing department, we use Wordperfect 3.5.4 that
      ran on G4s. We've recently upgraded to Macminis running
      Tiger 10.4.6. Now it seems that our printer (Canon Imagerunner
      330S) or any other postscript printer won't print any Wordperfect
      docs with eps graphics in them. Wordperfect will print docs that
      have no graphics in them, but as soon as we try to print a doc
      that has graphics, it hangs and we then can't print Wordperfect
      docs period. We have to relaunch Classic. The only way we can
      print them is to convert the Wordperfect docs to pdf files.
      Wonder what could be the problem?

      Keith
    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        Keith,

        I and others here have had a very similar problem with a Canon BJC-85 inkjet printer and a
        last-model G4 PowerBook (IBM PC chip non-Intel chip). I bought the G4 so as to use WP
        Mac 3.5.4 or 3.5e. So far the only thing that works for me is doing what you're doing,
        which is to convert to a PDF doc and then print from that.

        On this listserv, Geoff has suggested that you simply use the Classic chooser to choose
        LaserWriter and then print as usual. This does not work on 10.4.6 Tiger on my machine,
        despite my repeated attempts.

        I called Canon about this (and paid $ for the advice), and they said they could load the
        driver onto their Mac, no problem. But Apple, which I also called, said you can't load the
        Classic Canon Driver onto late G4s, which I also tried, only earlier Macs. Furthermore,
        Apple asked me to ask Canon what the serial number was on the Mac that Canon used
        (there's a rationale and code to the serial number). (keep reading...) The serial number
        that Canon gave me was for an older machine which could accept Classic Drivers (or run
        only on System 9.9.2). I don't know if Canon is addressing (i.e., trying to fix) this problem,
        since they don't think it is a problem.

        The last PowerPC Macs don't (and can't and won't) run exclusively in 9.2.2. I haven't heard
        from anyone who has been able to do this. The Macs will run an emulation of 9.2.2, but
        they won't start up on it. Mac manuals even say you can't. If you could run a machine on
        9.2.2, then you could print from WP 3.5.4, right?

        If you can run your Mac on 9.2.2 only (go to System Preferences and click on Startup disk
        and see if you can), then you should be able to load the Classic Drivers, and then things
        should work out. Be sure, Canon will tell you, to load the current drivers, which is good
        advice. If you download them while 10.4.6 is running, they will unstuff, but they (the
        Classic drivers) won't install.

        So far I have not been able to solve this problem. I am not familiar with your Canon printer
        model; I can, however, suggest that you make sure your cartridge (Color or B & W) match
        what's in the printer; your document won't print if your commands are not matched up.
        Otherwise, going to pdf is a slight pain of an extra operation, but it does work.

        If I get time to work on this, I'll let you all know. I am about to try to open in 9.2.2. install
        the Classic drivers on that old G4 Powerbook, and then, using a Firewire cable, manually
        copy each item into an appropriate folder in the new machine's System Folders et al
        (Classic/9.2.2.). [Canon's Mac experts say this won't work.] Please join me in crossing
        your fingers.

        Daryl Chinn

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

          > On this listserv, Geoff has suggested that you simply use the
          > Classic chooser to choose LaserWriter and then print as usual.
          > This does not work on 10.4.6 Tiger on my machine,
          > despite my repeated attempts.

          FWiW, I've been on an Epson inkjet printer for the past couple of years,
          and just today got a Brother laser. I had been using the Epson driver,
          so I switched to Laserwriter 8 in the Chooser. Printed without a hitch,
          and I was impressed to see that printer-specific options are listed in
          the print dialog, e.g. resolution, toner-saver mode, etc.

          I was also impressed to see that you can set destination to printer or
          file - I set it to file and a PS doc landed on my desktop, which OSX
          Preview automatically converted to PDF on open! I have Adobe
          PDFWriter, and just hadn't known about this feature of Laserwriter 8.

          In summary, with the Laserwriter 8 driver and Tiger you have _all_
          the print options available to an OSX app. Thanks Apple!

          John R.

          BTW the Laserwriter 8 driver is downloadable from a link in the
          Links section here.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "soehnk" <soehn@...> wrote:

            > In our publishing department, we use Wordperfect 3.5.4 that
            > ran on G4s. We've recently upgraded to Macminis running
            > Tiger 10.4.6. Now it seems that our printer (Canon Imagerunner
            > 330S) or any other postscript printer won't print any Wordperfect
            > docs with eps graphics in them. Wordperfect will print docs that
            > have no graphics in them, but as soon as we try to print a doc
            > that has graphics, it hangs and we then can't print Wordperfect
            > docs period. We have to relaunch Classic. The only way we can
            > print them is to convert the Wordperfect docs to pdf files.
            > Wonder what could be the problem?

            I don't have Daryl's expertise, but could only suggest you upgrade
            3.5.4 to 3.5e updated. There's quite a difference overall and IIRC
            EPS handling was in there. Also replace the 3.5e Conversions
            folder with that contained in Conversions 2.1.1, from the Conversions
            folder in the Files section here.

            John R.
          • Daryl Ngee Chinn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21 5:20 PM
              Sometime ago, I responded to this message by saying I had a similar problem to this
              posting, but I had a late G4-17 Powerbook and a Canon BubbleJet BJC-85 printer and
              couldn't print WP. Many people, Geoff most notably, and Canon USA, said I should just
              load and install the latest Canon Classic drivers. Well, you can't do this on these late
              PowerPC machines. I tried it many times without any luck.

              I found that Canon's Classic Drivers will only successfully install when if a machine is
              running Classic, which this late G4 does not do. Very briefly, then, this is what I've done
              successfully to make my PowerBook print from WP.

              You need a Firewire cable to do this and both your old and new computers. This will NOT
              work with the Intel machines, which will not and cannot run on Classic, unless there's a
              Classic emulator someone has cooked up. Here goes:

              1) Using your old machine, get on the Internet. Find and download Canon's latest Classic
              Printer software (3.4, in this case).
              2) Start your old machine in System 9.X. VERY IMPORTANT: Trash as much Canon stuff
              as you can, including anything in the Preferences file, which can often get corrupted.

              Decompress and install the Canon printer software onto your old computer.

              3) Put your new computer to sleep.
              4) Turn off your old computer.
              5) Plug the Firewire cables into both computers
              6) On the old computer, hold down the T key and start it.
              7) Continue to depress the T key until a Firewire symbol shows on the (old) screen. This
              symbol looks like a "radioactive" symbol, which is a circle surrounded by three trapezoids
              7) Wake your new machine. An orange hard drive with the Firewire symbol on it shows up
              (this is your old computer acting as an attached hard drive). Now comes the hard, tedious
              part.

              8) On your new machine, Trash all Canon icons, especially BJ Prefs, which can become
              corrupted. You can use the Finder to search out icons like BJ, BJC, Canon, etc.

              9) Open up the Fire-wired icon and copy any and every Canon BJC, BJ or Canon piece of
              software onto the idential folder or sub-folder into your new machine. [To copy, hold
              down the Option key, click on the icon to be moved, and move it to the equivalent folder
              of the new machine. When you get to the new folder, a + sign appears. Release the
              mouse/trackpad button and it will copy this into the new folder.] This step takes a long
              time, because you have to find everything, including the ColorSync modules (labeled BJ
              Standard, as well as the various BC- icons in the System Folder), the BJ Extras (on the Hard
              Drive), the Preferences, BJ-Back, Canon Spool Folder (System Folder) and Extensions.

              9) After you think you've copied them all, take the Firewired drive to the trash. You can
              now safely restart your old machine; it will be the old machine again, not a Firewire
              device.

              10) Restart your new machine. You might also be able to just restart Classic from System
              Preferences instead.

              11) Connect your computer to the Canon printer with a USB cable. Turn on your printer.

              12) Open a Classic application; open the Chooser.

              13) Select the BJC, and close the Chooser while you follow the prompts.

              14) Print from WP onto your Canon printer (including graphics!)!!!

              It is possible that all I simply had was a corrupted file somewhere. However, I tried
              everything, and only today did I have the time to perform all these steps (including the
              Install onto my old machine running natively on Classic) AND successfully print WP from
              this machine. I'm pretty happy. Now, will I be able to print WP on my OS X-only Okidata
              printer...?

              Daryl