Re: Phantom Printers in Classic Print Dialog Box

  • Karl Winkelmann
    Message 1 of 48 , May 22, 2006
      wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com eruditely mused the following:

      >attempt to print a document, in the Classic Print
      >dialogue box, I get a choice of several printers
      >that may once have been relevant, but no longer
      >are, because I have disconnected them. I'm
      >trying to get rid of the irrelevant choices In
      >one case, an irrelevant printer is of the same
      >type as a relevant one, because I previously had
      >two of the same type of printer connected
      >(LaserWriter Select 360 connected to Ethernet via
      >Asant├ętalk boxes.

      Depending on you situation the only items that should show in your
      Chooser, if you don't want confusion are: AppleShare and LaserWriter 8 or
      another driver for your attached printer. Other printers appear in the
      Chooser because their drivers were installed and have not been
      uninstalled. Disconnecting an unused printer will do nothing in the
      Chooser for you.

      To control printer drivers that show up in the Chooser, the best way to
      turn them off, or get rid of them, is to use the Extension Manager in Mac
      OS 9 (actually several earlier OS's too).

      Open the Extension Manager and in the Menu bar click on View and select
      "as Package". Most 3rd party printer drivers are installed as part of a
      package, so using this selection will allow you to see the associated
      items grouped together.

      Notice there is a checkbox beside each item. There is also a turn down
      tab at the bottom left of the window called "Show more information"
      though not all items have data in the information window.

      So, find the printers you don't want to see in the Chooser and uncheck
      the checkbox, close the window and Quit the Extension Manager. You will
      have to restart Mac OS 9 or Classic depending on your own situation.

      If running Classic in Mac OS X, there are many items that can be turned
      off here as they are not being used by you, but that is for another day.

      Cheers
      Karl Winkelmann
    • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2006
        John, you're welcome to use my name in your article. I read LowEndMac
        all the time, and I think they're an ideal forum to let the wider Mac
        Community know about us. Please quote me on this too: the level of
        technical and even moral support provided to WP users in the two
        listservs is unparalleled.

        >> I have also long used Speed Doubler in OS8 and before (I think I saw a
        >> > free download of this somewhere),
        >
        > http://main.system7today.com/. Does this do anything in OSX Classic?

        Speed Doubler only works in OS8 and below. Thank you for tracking the
        download location down to http://main.system7today.com/updates.html.
        Copy Agent was the OS9 replacement, with TurboKeys included as a
        separate control panel. There is no need in Classic for CopyAgent
        itself, but TurboKeys loads in Classic, and provides both customizable
        system-wide keyboard shortcuts (which I still use for calling up the
        Chooser, for example) and the DOS-like pre-OSX version of full keyboard
        access that takes the form of underlined letters in menu items that can
        then be selected by hotkey. Some people didn't like this because it
        reminded them of DOS (which I have never used), but I use it all the
        time when in Classic. The OS9 version won't work in some Carbon
        applications, but works well in WordPerfect.

        With Connectix gone, hopefully this OS9 version too will show up as a
        download somewhere.

        Tom