Re: [wpmac] The future of reveal codes?

  • Peter J. Hartmann
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2006
      Am 14.05.2006 um 15:27 schrieb Paul M. Konnersman:

      > There's something here that I don't understand. I can't conceive of
      > any
      > way of putting formatting into a document other than by tagging it in
      > the manner that WP does. How is it possible for a word processing
      > program to provide styling features or formating features without
      > having
      > tags in the text?

      NisusWriter Classic for instance used the resource fork to save style
      info - in a manner like saying "characters 1 thru 40 Arial 10 point
      italic" and so on. This way it was always possible to open NW files
      as text files without any "garbage characters" added.
      Even without using a resource fork you could add similar info at the
      end of a file otherwise containing only text.
      Admittedly, things will get problematic when the formatting or layout
      becomes complex - NisusWriter for instance had to use an (ugly) extra
      table tool to provide some minimal table editing.