Fonts in Classic mode

  • Daryl Ngee Chinn
    Message 1 of 42 , May 12, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, kevin <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

      > I transfer stuff regularly from my PC to mac on flash disks and it does transfer
      > the Mac resource without any special formating... so go figure...

      I've read and re-read this trail of messages, so now I may have a answer belying that
      confusion.

      A.
      If you already have Bradley Hand on your 10.4 Mac OS machine, then it's in the Library
      Folder under Fonts. You can copy it to your System Folder {i.e., Classic] this way:
      1) Open the Fonts folder in the Library, and also
      2) open the Fonts folder in the Systems folder
      2) find Bradley Hand
      3) click once on that while holding down the Option key
      4) while holding down the Option key, drag the Bradley font to the System Folder Fonts
      folder

      This should copy the font(s) into the Classic Ap and, therefore, WP. I would restart Classic
      just to be sure.

      If that doesn't work, try the following. (you should always have your new computer's
      Administrator passwords handy, just in case):

      B. If you have something on another Mac where the font (or anything else) resides, and if
      you have Firewire on BOTH computers, you can find the Migration Assistant in the
      Applications Folder in Utilities.
      1. Attach the Firewire cable to both machines
      2. put the destination machine to sleep (to be safe; supposedly not necessary)
      3. On the Origin machine (sorry), press T and restart
      4. a Firewire symbol will appear on the old Mac screen (looks like the Firewire icon or
      almost like a Radioactive symbol)
      5. at the same time, your new Mac's screen should show your old Mac on the desktop.
      You can now move anything from your old Mac onto the new one.
      6. Open the Library folder, the Fonts folder therein, and drag it over to the Classic Fonts
      folder.
      (You could also just follow the Migration Assistant's prompts, but I don't like what it did,
      so I don't recommend this at this time, even though Apple says and makes it very easy to
      do so.)

      I'm one of those who bought a late-model Power PC Powerbook recently so I could run WP,
      and I've used the Migration Assistant, and I even downloaded a Bradley Hand font because
      of this message board, so I know it works.

      Another method:
      C. You could use a ZIP drive and disk to move fonts from one computer to another, since
      you said you didn't want to reformat the thumb drive. However, you need a Zip drive +...

      Enough! Try these, starting with the first. Let us know if any of this works, please, since
      some of these steps are part of Keyboard Shortcuts, which I love on both WP and Macs—
      don't like the mouse, love the Trackpad.

      Daryl
      Message 42 of 42 , May 13, 2006
        John

        It's confusing, but not as bad in practice:
        1) If you want to use it in a Classic Application, it has to be in
        System Folder| Fonts. Equally, it has to be a Mac Font. In OSX,
        Windows fonts work, too.
        2) Don't do anything with the folder System| Library| Fonts. Leave it alone.
        3) If you are the only user of your Mac, whether you use Library|
        Fonts or ~| Library| Fonts is irrelevant. If you share it, fonts in
        your Home Folder Library are only available to you.
        4) In practice, WP has a very limited set of fonts while I have over
        400 available under OSX applications spread around all four font
        folders.

        Geoff