Re: [wpmac] WP/Mac on Intel-based Macs

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 42 , May 8, 2006
      If we talkign about obscure Wordperfects. My first experience with WordPerfect
      was on the Atari ST computer in the late 80's. Does anyone know if there was
      a Wordperfect on any of the 8bit computers like the Apple II or Commodore 64?

      Ed Gould <edgould@...> wrote:
      On May 8, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Douglas Bouley wrote:

      > There were at least 2 versions of WP for Linux. The original one was a
      > variant of WordPerfect for UNIX. WP UNIX is more like WP Mac than WP
      > Windows in appearance. I am not aware of any place where you can now
      > download it, though a Google search may find it. Corel distributed a
      > free (download) version of it for awhile, so a legal version may
      > well be
      > out there somewhere. It is somewhat fussy as to libraries and other
      > prerequisites, so I'm not sure what modern Linux distributions can
      > support it. If you can find it and get it installed, this is the most
      > solid WP for LINUX. Also, there is the ability to run a CHUI
      > version of
      > WP UNIX. Can't recall if the LINUX version can do that, too. WP 5 for
      > UNIX was/is awesome. Still run that on my Solaris box.
      >
      > There was also a short-lived commercial WordPerfect Office for
      > Linux. It
      > was based on WPWin and used WINE to run. It, too, has pretty much
      > vanished. I don't think there was ever a free version. I currently
      > have
      > this installed on my PB17, running on the old Corel Linux under
      > Virtual
      > PC. There were complaints about stability with the WINE version. I
      > can't
      > say I've noticed any problems, but then I don't use it very much.
      >
      > For grins, I like to open up WP Mac 3.5e, WP DOS 6.22, WPWin12, and WP
      > Office for Linux all at the same time (that 17" screen is a necessity
      > for this Stupid Mac trick!). I guess I need a hobby, huh?

      Douglas:

      Believe it or not (someone chime and correct me) there was a WP
      version for IBM Mainframes. I do not remember the timeframe but IIRC
      it was in the 1970's.
      My memory is sketchy as to exactly when though. I also do not
      remember the company that was running it. SInce its been over 30
      years the rest is best left for the people that can fill in the
      specifics.

      Ed

      Medical software program Backup software program Email software program Wedding program software Cad software program Anti virus software program

      Message 42 of 42 , May 13, 2006
        John

        It's confusing, but not as bad in practice:
        1) If you want to use it in a Classic Application, it has to be in
        System Folder| Fonts. Equally, it has to be a Mac Font. In OSX,
        Windows fonts work, too.
        2) Don't do anything with the folder System| Library| Fonts. Leave it alone.
        3) If you are the only user of your Mac, whether you use Library|
        Fonts or ~| Library| Fonts is irrelevant. If you share it, fonts in
        your Home Folder Library are only available to you.
        4) In practice, WP has a very limited set of fonts while I have over
        400 available under OSX applications spread around all four font
        folders.

        Geoff