Re: WP/Mac on Intel-based Macs

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2006
      Not only could you use Basilisk II but there are a few 68000 based
      Mac emulators for X86 machines (fusion, vmac, Executor) that you
      could run thru Windows. of course who wants to use windows
      when you can use OSX!

      I uploaded a rom image from a macintosh performa 630 so you can
      download it to make it easier to get up and running:

      http://members.cox.net/rangerkev/1mbMacrom.zip

      I believe this is probably one of the best rom image for these
      emulators, but if you need another one I have quite a few just ask.
      We all have Macintoshs here, so I dont see any problem offering this
      rom image to the group. I dont have a Intel Mac, so I am interested
      hearing from someone who does and how WP runs thru the emulator in
      OSX.

      Kevin

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

      > I know that a lot of Mac users have been hoping for a way to run
      Classic
      > on the new Intel-based Macs so that they can purchase a new Mac and
      > continue to use WordPerfect/Mac.
      >
      > There is now a workable emulator for Classic for Intel-based
      Macintoshes.
      > The emulator is free (and open source) but it requires that you have a
      > ROM image from a 680x0 Macintosh, and since that ROM image is
      copyrighted
      > software, you can't download it from anywhere, you have to have an old
      > Macintosh that you can "capture" a ROM image from. The good news is
      that
      > old working Macs can often be found for free, in the closets of Mac
      user
      > group members, or for just a few bucks via a classified ad or in thrift
      > stores.
      >
      > Basilisk II for OS X (free)
      > http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/
      >
      > In order to make Basilisk II work, you need three things:
      >
      > * The Basilisk II application. Since it's open source, it can be
      > downloaded freely
      > * A copy of an older Mac operating system. Apple has made operating
      > system versions up to System 7.5.5 freely downloadable. You can find
      > links for a wide range of older Mac operating system versions on Low
      End
      > Mac's Classic Mac OS Downloads and Updates page:
      > http://lowendmac.com/macos.shtml
      >
      > Apple included 680x0 support in operating system versions up to Mac OS
      > 8.1, so that's the last version that Basilisk II can run.
      > * An image file of the ROM from a 680x0 Mac. In general, you'll get
      > best performance from a more recent 68040 model. Apple retains
      copyright
      > on their ROM code, so you can't legally download these. Instead, if you
      > find a working older Mac, you can "capture" a ROM image (see
      Capturing a

      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

        > Not only could you use Basilisk II but there are a few 68000 based
        > Mac emulators for X86 machines (fusion, vmac, Executor) that you
        > could run thru Windows. of course who wants to use windows
        > when you can use OSX!
        >
        > I uploaded a rom image from a macintosh performa 630 so you can
        > download it to make it easier to get up and running:
        >
        > http://members.cox.net/rangerkev/1mbMacrom.zip
        >
        > I believe this is probably one of the best rom image for these
        > emulators, but if you need another one I have quite a few just ask.
        > We all have Macintoshs here, so I dont see any problem offering this
        > rom image to the group. I dont have a Intel Mac, so I am interested
        > hearing from someone who does and how WP runs thru the emulator in
        > OSX.

        Thanks Kevin! Your link has been added to the Links section here.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

          > I was very impressed with OS 9.2 also. It was stable and it was faster
          > than OS 8. The only downside to it, compared to OS 8, was that it used
          > more RAM.
          >
          > But in the context of getting Classic to run under OS X/Intel, it is
          > moot. Basilisk II for OS X can use up to OS 8.1 and no higher.

          Let me put in a plug for 7x. 7.6.1 was IMO one of the nicest OS versions -
          less cluttered than 8 (did anyone ever use popup windows in the Finder?).
          7.5, and the highly-recommended 7.5.5 update, are free downloads from
          Apple. See http://wiki.oldos.org/Mac/68kEmulator.

          > My recollection is that OS X 7.5 and 7.6 were somewhat unstable unless
          > you added two extensions from Apple: PowerPC Interrupt Extension and
          > Object Support Library. (Fortunately, I have these if anyone needs them.)

          Randy, do you have links to these files that I can add to the Links section
          here?
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

            > I know that a lot of Mac users have been hoping for a way to run Classic
            > on the new Intel-based Macs so that they can purchase a new Mac and
            > continue to use WordPerfect/Mac.
            >
            > There is now a workable emulator for Classic for Intel-based Macintoshes.
            > The emulator is free (and open source) but it requires that you have a
            > ROM image from a 680x0 Macintosh, and since that ROM image is copyrighted
            > software, you can't download it from anywhere, you have to have an old
            > Macintosh that you can "capture" a ROM image from. The good news is that
            > old working Macs can often be found for free, in the closets of Mac user
            > group members, or for just a few bucks via a classified ad or in thrift
            > stores.
            >
            > Basilisk II for OS X (free)
            > http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/

            Wow . . . that's great, Randy. Thanks!