Re: [wpmac] Compatible Printers?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      Dear Kevin

      Assuming that you are running 10.4.x, printing is seamless. In
      Classic, choose laserwriter 8 (ignore the requests for Appletalk) and
      you print directly from WP via the OS X driver.

      Geoff

      >Dear All:
      >
      >My HP Deskjet 930c has shuffled off its mortal coil. It had been
      >working fine in both OS 9 and OS X applications, including our
      >beloved WP. A lot of the printers I see online list OS X
      >drivers/software, but no OS 9. What do I do? Does an OS X
      >driver work retro w/ something like WP?
      >
      >Many thanks in advance,
      >Kevin
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Cory Wiegersma
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2006
        A lot of HP LaserJets support OS X, you might take a look at those to
        see if there is one within your price range that will meet your needs,
        especially if you boot into OS9.

        If you are in classic mode, you can also just use LaserWriter 8 as a
        virtual printer to save documents as a postscript file and drop that
        postscript file right onto any OS X printer icon. (It's what I did with
        my OS 7 machine before I got my laserwriter.)
        On May 2, 2006, at 4:56 PM, fleance159 wrote:

        > Dear All:
        >
        > My HP Deskjet 930c has shuffled off its mortal coil.  It had been
        > working fine in both OS 9 and OS X applications, including our
        > beloved WP.  A lot of the printers I see online list OS X
        > drivers/software, but no OS 9.  What do I do?  Does an OS X
        > driver work retro w/ something like WP?
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        > Kevin
      • Doug Auwarter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2006
          On May 3, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Cory Wiegersma wrote:

          > A lot of HP LaserJets support OS X, you might take a look at those to
          > see if there is one within your price range that will meet your needs,
          > especially if you boot into OS9.

          I have a Brother HL 5150D which has built-in duplexing—a real plus.
          WP prints beautifully on this printer using the usual command
          (command-key + "p"). I'm using OSX 10.4.6. You should have no trouble
          finding a deal online for $250-300.
          Best,
          Doug
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2006
            > > Does an OSX driver work retro w/ something like WP?
            >
            > Assuming that you are running 10.4.x, printing is seamless. In
            > Classic, choose laserwriter 8 (ignore the requests for Appletalk)
            > and you print directly from WP via the OS X driver.

            If you're using a version of OSX earlier than Tiger, the print
            driver installer for your new printer may include OS 9
            capability, but you may have to control-click on the installer
            package to open the contents and manually drag the driver
            into your System Folder > Extensions.

            There's been a lot of discussion in this list over the past year
            on printing. Try a message search on keywords print and
            driver. There are also links in the Links section here to Apple
            support pages: see "Classic in OSX" and "Printing in Classic
            with an OSX printer".