Re: [wpmac] CNN.com - Viruses catch up to the Mac - Apr 30, 2006

  • Aron Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2006
      It's FUD. The person mentioned had to enter his administrator
      password and disregard the warning before anything happened, and this
      is a story recycled from several months ago. For more info, see:

      <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060501002900536>
      <http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9416/>

      On May 1, 2006, at 9:47 AM, villars@... wrote:

      > http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
      >
      > in case you haven't heard about this.
      > nancy hyden woodward
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Aron S. Spencer
      Elizabeth, NJ 07202
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2006
        villars@... said:

        >http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
        >
        >in case you haven't heard about this.

        That article was nothing but old news and a spreader of FUD (fear,
        uncertainty, and doubt). It was a Macintosh hit piece. Lets look a
        little closer to it:

        >-- Benjamin Daines was browsing the Web when he clicked on a series of
        >links that promised pictures of an unreleased update to his computer's
        >operating system.
        >
        >Instead, a window opened on the screen and strange commands ran as if the
        >machine was under the control of someone -- or something -- else.
        >
        >Daines was the victim of a computer virus.

        No he wasn't. Viruses are self-replicating. When he clicked on was a
        Trojan Horse. Unless someone intentionally sends you a Trojan Horse
        somehow, it can't spread. That's why Trojans are very rare. Once users
        find out about where a Trojan came from, folks avoid the source and the
        Trojan is usually pulled. Generally, you only encounter Trojans when you
        are doing things you shouldn't be doing anyhow, like downloading files on
        peer to peer networks (e.g. LimeWire),

        >He and at least one other person who clicked on the links were infected

        Wow! Maybe two people were infected by this Trojan! That *is* a concern.

        >by
        >what security experts call the first virus for Mac OS X...

        What "experts" call it a virus? There was no citation to one. Answer:
        none. It isn't a virus.

        The article goes on to talk about "vulnerabilities." Guess what? Nobody
        cares. Every computer has vulnerabilities, and new ones are found all
        the time. Ordinary users don't have to be concerned about potential
        vulnerabilities. By the time the bad guys get around to writing some
        malware to exploit a vulnerability, generally Apple has patched it.
        Apple is constantly issuing patches, that's why it is a good idea to keep
        your software updated.

        As long as Apple is keeping on top of security, nobody is going to try to
        write malware to take advantage of newly discovered vulnerabilities,
        because they would be wasting their time to do so.

        Now, are there Trojans out there that infect the Mac? Yes, about a half
        dozen of them. (But not a single OS X-specific virus!) What can you do
        about them? Well, you probably don't need to do anything about them,
        since they are very very rare. But if you are worried, just don't
        download software from unreliable sources. And if you are paranoid, you
        can install anti-viral software. But at this point it probably isn't
        necessary.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • villars@hamptons.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2006
          I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
          site.
          Nancy
          On May 1, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > villars@... said:
          >
          >> http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
          >>
          >> in case you haven't heard about this.
          >
          > That article was nothing but old news and a spreader of FUD (fear,
          > uncertainty, and doubt). It was a Macintosh hit piece. Lets look a
          > little closer to it:
        • Doug Auwarter
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2006
            On May 1, 2006, at 1:28 PM, villars@... wrote:

            > I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
            > site.

            No apology is warrented, Nancy. The whole discussion that resulted
            was very informative and, dare I say, amusing at times, especially
            when I read the other articles. Thanks for bringing this up!
            Best,
            Doug
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, villars@... wrote:

              > I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
              > site.

              The story originated at the Associated Press, and appeared on a lot of
              news sites. See Google's list at:

              http://tinyurl.com/zvewb

              Farther down in many of these articles are reports from several
              sources to the effect that security in OSX needs to be taken seriously.
              I'm the only regular user of my Mac at home, but a month ago added
              a user account, and no longer use the administrative account except
              for special purposes. I keep the firewall on, and all internet sharing
              off except for network time.

              I've also been investigating an open source project called Snort,
              compiled for Mac OSX as HenWen (a link is in the Links section here),
              that's a "network intrusion detection system". I don't know much
              about it, though.

              It may be that "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." -Franklin
              Delano Roosevelt, but he never had computer viruses to contend with.

              John R.
            • Aron Spencer
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                A good article about the OSX security FUD:

                <http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2006/050106bradner.html>

                Aron S. Spencer
                Elizabeth, NJ 07202
              • John Sandel
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                  Nancy, you're always welcome to share what you find. Don't apologize.
                  Sometimes people respond quickly with "I've seen this already," but
                  I'm confident they don't mean to sound dismissive.

                  JS