CNN.com - Viruses catch up to the Mac - Apr 30, 2006

  • villars@hamptons.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2006
      http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html

      in case you haven't heard about this.
      nancy hyden woodward
    • Aron Spencer
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2006
        It's FUD. The person mentioned had to enter his administrator
        password and disregard the warning before anything happened, and this
        is a story recycled from several months ago. For more info, see:

        <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060501002900536>
        <http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9416/>

        On May 1, 2006, at 9:47 AM, villars@... wrote:

        > http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
        >
        > in case you haven't heard about this.
        > nancy hyden woodward
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Aron S. Spencer
        Elizabeth, NJ 07202
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2006
          villars@... said:

          >http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
          >
          >in case you haven't heard about this.

          That article was nothing but old news and a spreader of FUD (fear,
          uncertainty, and doubt). It was a Macintosh hit piece. Lets look a
          little closer to it:

          >-- Benjamin Daines was browsing the Web when he clicked on a series of
          >links that promised pictures of an unreleased update to his computer's
          >operating system.
          >
          >Instead, a window opened on the screen and strange commands ran as if the
          >machine was under the control of someone -- or something -- else.
          >
          >Daines was the victim of a computer virus.

          No he wasn't. Viruses are self-replicating. When he clicked on was a
          Trojan Horse. Unless someone intentionally sends you a Trojan Horse
          somehow, it can't spread. That's why Trojans are very rare. Once users
          find out about where a Trojan came from, folks avoid the source and the
          Trojan is usually pulled. Generally, you only encounter Trojans when you
          are doing things you shouldn't be doing anyhow, like downloading files on
          peer to peer networks (e.g. LimeWire),

          >He and at least one other person who clicked on the links were infected

          Wow! Maybe two people were infected by this Trojan! That *is* a concern.

          >by
          >what security experts call the first virus for Mac OS X...

          What "experts" call it a virus? There was no citation to one. Answer:
          none. It isn't a virus.

          The article goes on to talk about "vulnerabilities." Guess what? Nobody
          cares. Every computer has vulnerabilities, and new ones are found all
          the time. Ordinary users don't have to be concerned about potential
          vulnerabilities. By the time the bad guys get around to writing some
          malware to exploit a vulnerability, generally Apple has patched it.
          Apple is constantly issuing patches, that's why it is a good idea to keep
          your software updated.

          As long as Apple is keeping on top of security, nobody is going to try to
          write malware to take advantage of newly discovered vulnerabilities,
          because they would be wasting their time to do so.

          Now, are there Trojans out there that infect the Mac? Yes, about a half
          dozen of them. (But not a single OS X-specific virus!) What can you do
          about them? Well, you probably don't need to do anything about them,
          since they are very very rare. But if you are worried, just don't
          download software from unreliable sources. And if you are paranoid, you
          can install anti-viral software. But at this point it probably isn't
          necessary.

          Randy B. Singer

          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • villars@hamptons.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2006
            I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
            site.
            Nancy
            On May 1, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

            > villars@... said:
            >
            >> http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html
            >>
            >> in case you haven't heard about this.
            >
            > That article was nothing but old news and a spreader of FUD (fear,
            > uncertainty, and doubt). It was a Macintosh hit piece. Lets look a
            > little closer to it:
          • Doug Auwarter
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2006
              On May 1, 2006, at 1:28 PM, villars@... wrote:

              > I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
              > site.

              No apology is warrented, Nancy. The whole discussion that resulted
              was very informative and, dare I say, amusing at times, especially
              when I read the other articles. Thanks for bringing this up!
              Best,
              Doug
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, villars@... wrote:

                > I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
                > site.

                The story originated at the Associated Press, and appeared on a lot of
                news sites. See Google's list at:

                http://tinyurl.com/zvewb

                Farther down in many of these articles are reports from several
                sources to the effect that security in OSX needs to be taken seriously.
                I'm the only regular user of my Mac at home, but a month ago added
                a user account, and no longer use the administrative account except
                for special purposes. I keep the firewall on, and all internet sharing
                off except for network time.

                I've also been investigating an open source project called Snort,
                compiled for Mac OSX as HenWen (a link is in the Links section here),
                that's a "network intrusion detection system". I don't know much
                about it, though.

                It may be that "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." -Franklin
                Delano Roosevelt, but he never had computer viruses to contend with.

                John R.
              • Aron Spencer
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                  A good article about the OSX security FUD:

                  <http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2006/050106bradner.html>

                  Aron S. Spencer
                  Elizabeth, NJ 07202
                • John Sandel
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                    Nancy, you're always welcome to share what you find. Don't apologize.
                    Sometimes people respond quickly with "I've seen this already," but
                    I'm confident they don't mean to sound dismissive.

                    JS