Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect Converter

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 3:01 PM
      Anakin Skywalker said:

      >I'm totally new to WordPerfect and have been given a job to
      >convert WP files to work with Microsoft Word. I really need
      >to do this on my mac and want to know if there is a converter
      >for OS X, whether a stand-alone application or plug-in for
      >Word. Thanks

      1-Purchase MacLinkPlus from DataViz
      <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html> and use it to
      convert your .wpd files to .doc or .cwk files. This, at first, might
      seem like the ideal solution, but in practice, if your documents have
      complex formatting, the MacLinkPlus translators can be disappointing.

      2/3-Download AbiWord (free) <http://www.abisource.com/> or NeoOffice
      (free) <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php> and use one of
      them to open your documents and save them as .doc files for use in Word.
      Both of these programs use the same exact translators, so it doesn't
      matter which you use.

      4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it in
      the Classic environment; it will read your .wpd files and you can save
      them as .doc files.
      <ftp://ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff/WordPerfectKit.sit>

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30 3:10 PM
        Just one slight additional point to Randy's email - Abiword does not
        read footnotes in WP Mac files, NeoOffice does. No idea as to whether
        either can read them in WPWin files.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          > 4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it in
          > the Classic environment; it will read your .wpd files and you can save
          > them as .doc files.

          MetaMacro, free in the Files section, can do that for all files in a folder
          in one step.