Defragmenting, desktop and registry [was: file opening, again...]

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2006
      At 060423 23:09 +0000, Daryl Ngee Chinn wrote:

      >By the way, whenever an icon doesn't appear as it should (in System
      >9/Classic), it's good to
      >rebuild the desktop. I heard once that it's the Apple equivalent of
      >defragmenting for Windows.

      Actually, as John R. explained, fragmentation happens with any disk
      operating system (including Windows and all versions of MacOS),
      simply as a consequence of files being deleted, created and changed,
      without regard to what the operating system above the filer is doing.
      The alternatives to fragmentation are all MUCH less efficient than
      the fragmentation, but eventually the inefficiencies of a highly
      fragmented disk can make defragmenting desirable - again, under any
      disk operating system, though some handle it better than others.

      The Mac desktop (database) is actually closer to the Windows
      registry, and rebuilding the desktop is roughly similar to repairing
      the registry -- which, like rebuilding the desktop, is maintenance
      that should be done periodically.
      --
      John