Response to Windows on Mac post

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 4:52 PM
      Earlier this week I read a post on this group regarding Windows being
      officially supported (via apple's bootloader and the next version of OS
      X). The poster said he felt this would be the end for OSX applications
      since why bother writing an OSX app when Mac users can run Windows?

      I submit this argument: We all know OSX is better then Windows XP.
      The Mac hardware is sleek and far superior aesthically to the
      nicest looking pc's. Even if some buy Mac's simply to use them as
      XP boxes. they are likely to try OSX and some Mac native software,
      once they do many of the people that never would of given OSX a chance
      will be hooked. This stealth approach can only bring more into the
      Macintosh fold. IMO this stealth move will only benefit us all in
      the end. Now if they can just bring the prices a bit lower...

      PS. Anyone know of a good word processor that will run natively on
      OS 1.5 that I can download or buy?

      thanks
      Kevin
    • Matthew Wensley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 7:38 PM
        In economic theory, there is the saying "bad money drives out good".

        There is a reason that Wal-Mart is successful and that it buys so
        much product from China. Chinese goods are not "better" than US or
        Canadian made goods, the labour pool is not better educated or more
        adds more value, but rather is paid pennies rather than dollars. Lets
        face it, no one goes to Wal-Mart for high quality goods.

        Although I agree that in the short term, having the ability to run XP
        may increase the amount of hardware sold by Apple, the real danger is
        having software designed for the Apple disappear.

        If you were running Adobe, would you want to increase your profits by
        halving your expenses? Why design Mac and Windows versions when one
        version will run on both machines? And if Microsoft decides to let
        the MBU run down, what will be the impact if there is ONLY a Windows
        version of Office?

        How many times has anyone on this list been told "we don't make a Mac
        version because there is not enough..."? The statement will change to
        "of course you can run our software on your Mac, just install XP first".

        I am guessing that 7 or so years out, there will be fewer native Mac
        applications. Sure, it may be easier to port a Windows programme to
        run on an intel Mac, but lets face it, a port of a crappy Windows
        programme is going to become a crappy Mac programme.

        As for people buying hardware because it looks sleek and cool, I
        would remind you that companies make purchase decisions based on
        cost, not a "cool factor". Does anyone on the list think that Dell or
        Gateway have become as large as they have by selling cool boxes?

        Where is ACT! for Macintosh now? Where is Norton Utilities? WordPerfect?

        In business, it is the bottom line, not the cool factor that wins.

        Although I think that it would be great if Apple ended up selling
        more boxes, and that would allow the price of software to drop, I do
        not think that that is how this is going to play out.

        Matt

        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good [people]
        do nothing.
        Edmund Burke

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 3:13 AM
          I appreciate what you are saying Matthew and there is a downside to Apple
          supporting XP, but I think overall the Intel switch and supporting Windows is
          a good thing. First of all big companies like Adobe can easily write OSX versions of their software since the new Apple's have Intel chips the main core
          of the program will be the same, so developement will cost considerably less.

          The biggest benefit for the Macintosh platform will be converts. With the ability
          to run games and business software that has traditionally been too expensive to
          port over to the mac in the past XP users can switch to the Mac without the
          worry's they once had. Once they experience the superior hardware and the
          Mac OS, they will be converts.

          Your argument is valid and of course the Mac will remain a niche platform with
          a relatively tiny user base, but I believe the new developments will increase the
          Mac's visibility and who knows where it will be in 10 years. If Apple released
          a version of OSX that ran as well on regular pc hardwafre as Intel Mac;s I
          believe it could prove to tbe real competition for Windows somewhere down
          the road.

          Matthew Wensley <mwensley@...> wrote: In economic theory, there is the saying "bad money drives out good".

        • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 2:38 PM
            What I would like to see is Windows software such as Office Acrobat and
            such you go to OfficeMax purchase it, load it and run directly form the
            Mac OSX without using Windows period.

            Just have one software that loads on anything.