Re: [wpmac] Installing WP

  • Daryl Ngee Chinn
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      Sorry about your confusion. An operating system
      is the basic software that tells a computer (the
      hardware) what to do. You might call an operating
      system the life force of a computer. You need an
      operating system OS 10.4, for example) before any
      other software (WP, for example). Macs run on Mac
      operating systems (OS 9, Mac OS X) while a lot of
      others like HP or Sony or IBM/Lenovo or Dell run
      on Windows, Windows XP, etc.) There are also
      other operating systems out there (Linix, for
      example).

      The older (not oldest) Mac operating system was
      OS 9. The newest one is OS 10.4+. Mac just
      brought out the MacBook Pro computer, which has
      10.4+ and won’t also run the older OS 9; the
      machines just before yours did run both so that
      people making programs could have a transition
      period before Mac went to Mac OS 1.4 and beyond.
      Does this help?

      Daryl

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, krcstudio <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro
      > have OS X? sorry I'm very new to this.
    • rickmccutcheon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      • John Sandel
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          Well, let's see—there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That
          means if we each buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and
          can direct the R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .

          It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.

          Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment! This
          creature will LIVE!!

          JS
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:

            > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
            > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
            > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
            > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
            >
            > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
            >
            > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
            > This creature will LIVE!!
            >
            > JS

            I like this guy.

            John R.
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              >John Sandel wrote:
              >
              >there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
              >buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
              >R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac

              You missed this part of the announcement:
              "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel after the
              share offering."
              --

              Bob Stern
            • Richard Fallstrom
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                John Rethorst wrote:
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                > > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                > > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                > > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                > >
                > > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                > >
                > > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                > > This creature will LIVE!!
                > >
                > > JS
                >

                > I like this guy.
                >
                > John R.

                So do I John. So do I.
              • John Sandel
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  I didn't read the announcement. What are mere numbers in the face of
                  our eternal desire to see 20-year-old software stagger pitifully into
                  the third millennium?

                  I'm mad with shareholder power—MAD, I tell you! Nothing will stop me
                  from reanimating this tattered corpse . . .

                  JS

                  On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

                  >> John Sandel wrote:
                  >>
                  >> there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                  >> buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                  >> R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac
                  >
                  > You missed this part of the announcement:
                  > "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel
                • krcstudio
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
                    Yes. Thanks very much. I read yesterday about universal binaries so
                    I guess this is what I need to look for with this new MAC.

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn"