Re: [wpmac] Installing WP

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      It does run OS X 10.4.x, however the hardware underpinnings differ
      considerably from the PowerPC PowerBooks, etc.

      The end result is that if your OS X applications have been optimized/
      recompiled for the new platform (the so-called Universal binaries)
      they will run very well on the MacBook. If the OS-X application is
      still written just for the older PPC chip, it will run on the
      MacBook, but relatively slowly. If the application runs only in
      Classic Mode (OS9), it will not currently run at all on a MacBook Pro.

      Pretty much all of the basic installed software included from Apple
      on the MacBook runs natively and very briskly on the new machine. A
      good number of third party OS X apps are also ready. Some high end
      garphics apps, etc. are still pending update.

      HTH
      Doug (I just bought a G4 PB17 for compatibility and pcmcia - use of
      EVDO - reasons, but also have a new Intel iMac )

      On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:07 , krcstudio wrote:

      > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I'm
      > very new to this.
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> krcstudio said:
      >>
      >>> I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer
      > makes WP
      >>> for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download
      >>> copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin
      > extension.
      >>> Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
      >>> without problems to my system on the MAC?
      >>> Thanks for any insight on this.
      >>

      >> For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based
      > Macintoshes,
      >> and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will
      > ever
      >> be available.
      >>
      >> For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh,
      > see:
      >> http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
      >>
      >> However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in
      > an
      >> Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed
      > under
      >> Rosetta on MacTel machines.
      >>
      >> If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over
      > until
      >> WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:
      >>
      >> RagTime Solo (free)
      >> http://www.ragtime-
      > online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html
      >>

      >> Randy B. Singer
      >> Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
      >>
      >> Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
      >> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      >>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        Sorry about your confusion. An operating system
        is the basic software that tells a computer (the
        hardware) what to do. You might call an operating
        system the life force of a computer. You need an
        operating system OS 10.4, for example) before any
        other software (WP, for example). Macs run on Mac
        operating systems (OS 9, Mac OS X) while a lot of
        others like HP or Sony or IBM/Lenovo or Dell run
        on Windows, Windows XP, etc.) There are also
        other operating systems out there (Linix, for
        example).

        The older (not oldest) Mac operating system was
        OS 9. The newest one is OS 10.4+. Mac just
        brought out the MacBook Pro computer, which has
        10.4+ and won’t also run the older OS 9; the
        machines just before yours did run both so that
        people making programs could have a transition
        period before Mac went to Mac OS 1.4 and beyond.
        Does this help?

        Daryl

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, krcstudio <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro
        > have OS X? sorry I'm very new to this.
      • rickmccutcheon
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        • John Sandel
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            Well, let's see—there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That
            means if we each buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and
            can direct the R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .

            It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.

            Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment! This
            creature will LIVE!!

            JS
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:

              > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
              > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
              > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
              > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
              >
              > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
              >
              > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
              > This creature will LIVE!!
              >
              > JS

              I like this guy.

              John R.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                >John Sandel wrote:
                >
                >there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                >buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                >R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac

                You missed this part of the announcement:
                "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel after the
                share offering."
                --

                Bob Stern
              • Richard Fallstrom
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  John Rethorst wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                  > > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                  > > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                  > > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                  > >
                  > > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                  > >
                  > > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                  > > This creature will LIVE!!
                  > >
                  > > JS
                  >

                  > I like this guy.
                  >
                  > John R.

                  So do I John. So do I.
                • John Sandel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    I didn't read the announcement. What are mere numbers in the face of
                    our eternal desire to see 20-year-old software stagger pitifully into
                    the third millennium?

                    I'm mad with shareholder power—MAD, I tell you! Nothing will stop me
                    from reanimating this tattered corpse . . .

                    JS

                    On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

                    >> John Sandel wrote:
                    >>
                    >> there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                    >> buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                    >> R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac
                    >
                    > You missed this part of the announcement:
                    > "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel
                  • krcstudio
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
                      Yes. Thanks very much. I read yesterday about universal binaries so
                      I guess this is what I need to look for with this new MAC.

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn"