Re: [wpmac] Installing WP

  • krcstudio
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I'm
      very new to this.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>
      wrote:

      > krcstudio said:
      >
      > >I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer
      makes WP
      > >for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download
      > >copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin
      extension.
      > >Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
      > >without problems to my system on the MAC?
      > >Thanks for any insight on this.
      >

      > For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based
      Macintoshes,
      > and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will
      ever
      > be available.
      >
      > For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh,
      see:
      > http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
      >
      > However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in
      an
      > Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed
      under
      > Rosetta on MacTel machines.
      >
      > If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over
      until
      > WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:
      >
      > RagTime Solo (free)
      > http://www.ragtime-
      online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html

      > Randy B. Singer
      > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
      >
      > Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
      > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

    • Douglas Bouley
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        It does run OS X 10.4.x, however the hardware underpinnings differ
        considerably from the PowerPC PowerBooks, etc.

        The end result is that if your OS X applications have been optimized/
        recompiled for the new platform (the so-called Universal binaries)
        they will run very well on the MacBook. If the OS-X application is
        still written just for the older PPC chip, it will run on the
        MacBook, but relatively slowly. If the application runs only in
        Classic Mode (OS9), it will not currently run at all on a MacBook Pro.

        Pretty much all of the basic installed software included from Apple
        on the MacBook runs natively and very briskly on the new machine. A
        good number of third party OS X apps are also ready. Some high end
        garphics apps, etc. are still pending update.

        HTH
        Doug (I just bought a G4 PB17 for compatibility and pcmcia - use of
        EVDO - reasons, but also have a new Intel iMac )

        On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:07 , krcstudio wrote:

        > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I'm
        > very new to this.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> krcstudio said:
        >>
        >>> I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer
        > makes WP
        >>> for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download
        >>> copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin
        > extension.
        >>> Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
        >>> without problems to my system on the MAC?
        >>> Thanks for any insight on this.
        >>

        >> For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based
        > Macintoshes,
        >> and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will
        > ever
        >> be available.
        >>
        >> For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh,
        > see:
        >> http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
        >>
        >> However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in
        > an
        >> Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed
        > under
        >> Rosetta on MacTel machines.
        >>
        >> If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over
        > until
        >> WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:
        >>
        >> RagTime Solo (free)
        >> http://www.ragtime-
        > online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html
        >>

        >> Randy B. Singer
        >> Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
        >>
        >> Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
        >> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          Sorry about your confusion. An operating system
          is the basic software that tells a computer (the
          hardware) what to do. You might call an operating
          system the life force of a computer. You need an
          operating system OS 10.4, for example) before any
          other software (WP, for example). Macs run on Mac
          operating systems (OS 9, Mac OS X) while a lot of
          others like HP or Sony or IBM/Lenovo or Dell run
          on Windows, Windows XP, etc.) There are also
          other operating systems out there (Linix, for
          example).

          The older (not oldest) Mac operating system was
          OS 9. The newest one is OS 10.4+. Mac just
          brought out the MacBook Pro computer, which has
          10.4+ and won’t also run the older OS 9; the
          machines just before yours did run both so that
          people making programs could have a transition
          period before Mac went to Mac OS 1.4 and beyond.
          Does this help?

          Daryl

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, krcstudio <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro
          > have OS X? sorry I'm very new to this.
        • rickmccutcheon
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          • John Sandel
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              Well, let's see—there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That
              means if we each buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and
              can direct the R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .

              It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.

              Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment! This
              creature will LIVE!!

              JS
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:

                > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                >
                > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                >
                > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                > This creature will LIVE!!
                >
                > JS

                I like this guy.

                John R.
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  >John Sandel wrote:
                  >
                  >there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                  >buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                  >R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac

                  You missed this part of the announcement:
                  "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel after the
                  share offering."
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                • Richard Fallstrom
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    John Rethorst wrote:
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                    > > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                    > > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                    > > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                    > >
                    > > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                    > >
                    > > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                    > > This creature will LIVE!!
                    > >
                    > > JS
                    >

                    > I like this guy.
                    >
                    > John R.

                    So do I John. So do I.
                  • John Sandel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      I didn't read the announcement. What are mere numbers in the face of
                      our eternal desire to see 20-year-old software stagger pitifully into
                      the third millennium?

                      I'm mad with shareholder power—MAD, I tell you! Nothing will stop me
                      from reanimating this tattered corpse . . .

                      JS

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
                        Yes. Thanks very much. I read yesterday about universal binaries so
                        I guess this is what I need to look for with this new MAC.

                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn"