Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [wpmac] Installing WP

Expand Messages
  • Randy B. Singer
    ... For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based Macintoshes, and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will ever be
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      krcstudio said:

      >I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer makes WP
      >for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download a
      >copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin extension.
      >Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
      >without problems to my system on the MAC?
      >Thanks for any insight on this.


      For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based Macintoshes,
      and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will ever
      be available.

      For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh, see:
      http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html

      However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in an
      Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed under
      Rosetta on MacTel machines.

      If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over until
      WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:

      RagTime Solo (free)
      http://www.ragtime-online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html







      Randy B. Singer
      Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

      Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • krcstudio
      Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I m very new to this. ... makes WP ... a ... extension. ... Macintoshes, ... ever ... an ...
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I'm
        very new to this.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > krcstudio said:
        >
        > >I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer
        makes WP
        > >for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download
        a
        > >copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin
        extension.
        > >Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
        > >without problems to my system on the MAC?
        > >Thanks for any insight on this.
        >
        >
        > For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based
        Macintoshes,
        > and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will
        ever
        > be available.
        >
        > For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh,
        see:
        > http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
        >
        > However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in
        an
        > Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed
        under
        > Rosetta on MacTel machines.
        >
        > If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over
        until
        > WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:
        >
        > RagTime Solo (free)
        > http://www.ragtime-
        online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Randy B. Singer
        > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
        >
        > Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        >
      • Douglas Bouley
        It does run OS X 10.4.x, however the hardware underpinnings differ considerably from the PowerPC PowerBooks, etc. The end result is that if your OS X
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          It does run OS X 10.4.x, however the hardware underpinnings differ
          considerably from the PowerPC PowerBooks, etc.

          The end result is that if your OS X applications have been optimized/
          recompiled for the new platform (the so-called Universal binaries)
          they will run very well on the MacBook. If the OS-X application is
          still written just for the older PPC chip, it will run on the
          MacBook, but relatively slowly. If the application runs only in
          Classic Mode (OS9), it will not currently run at all on a MacBook Pro.

          Pretty much all of the basic installed software included from Apple
          on the MacBook runs natively and very briskly on the new machine. A
          good number of third party OS X apps are also ready. Some high end
          garphics apps, etc. are still pending update.

          HTH
          Doug (I just bought a G4 PB17 for compatibility and pcmcia - use of
          EVDO - reasons, but also have a new Intel iMac )

          On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:07 , krcstudio wrote:

          > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro have OS X? sorry I'm
          > very new to this.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> krcstudio said:
          >>
          >>> I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer
          > makes WP
          >>> for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download
          > a
          >>> copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin
          > extension.
          >>> Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
          >>> without problems to my system on the MAC?
          >>> Thanks for any insight on this.
          >>
          >>
          >> For now there is no way to run WP/Mac on the new Intel-based
          > Macintoshes,
          >> and there is no telling when, or even if, a practical emulator will
          > ever
          >> be available.
          >>
          >> For a fairly complete list of word processors for the Macintosh,
          > see:
          >> http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
          >>
          >> However, this list doesn't tell you which programs are available in
          > an
          >> Intel-compatible version. OS X programs run at about 1/2 speed
          > under
          >> Rosetta on MacTel machines.
          >>
          >> If you want a free, full-featured word processor to tide you over
          > until
          >> WP/Mac makes it to the MacTel machines, you may want to check out:
          >>
          >> RagTime Solo (free)
          >> http://www.ragtime-
          > online.com/Content/product_ragtime_solo/index.html
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >> Randy B. Singer
          >> Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
          >>
          >> Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
          >> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          >>
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
          Sorry about your confusion. An operating system is the basic software that tells a computer (the hardware) what to do. You might call an operating system the
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Sorry about your confusion. An operating system
            is the basic software that tells a computer (the
            hardware) what to do. You might call an operating
            system the life force of a computer. You need an
            operating system OS 10.4, for example) before any
            other software (WP, for example). Macs run on Mac
            operating systems (OS 9, Mac OS X) while a lot of
            others like HP or Sony or IBM/Lenovo or Dell run
            on Windows, Windows XP, etc.) There are also
            other operating systems out there (Linix, for
            example).

            The older (not oldest) Mac operating system was
            OS 9. The newest one is OS 10.4+. Mac just
            brought out the MacBook Pro computer, which has
            10.4+ and won’t also run the older OS 9; the
            machines just before yours did run both so that
            people making programs could have a transition
            period before Mac went to Mac OS 1.4 and beyond.
            Does this help?

            Daryl

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, krcstudio <no_reply@...> wrote:
            >
            > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro
            > have OS X? sorry I'm very new to this.
          • rickmccutcheon
            For those interested: http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/04/04/corel-060404.html Cheers, Rick
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
            • John Sandel
              Well, let s see—there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we ll have a majority and can direct the R&D
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Well, let's see—there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That
                means if we each buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and
                can direct the R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .

                It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.

                Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment! This
                creature will LIVE!!

                JS
              • John Rethorst
                ... I like this guy. John R.
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                  > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                  > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                  > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                  >
                  > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                  >
                  > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                  > This creature will LIVE!!
                  >
                  > JS


                  I like this guy.

                  John R.
                • Bob Stern
                  ... You missed this part of the announcement: Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel after the share offering. -- Bob Stern
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    >John Sandel wrote:
                    >
                    >there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                    >buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                    >R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac

                    You missed this part of the announcement:
                    "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel after the
                    share offering."
                    --

                    Bob Stern
                  • Richard Fallstrom
                    ... So do I John. So do I.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      John Rethorst wrote:
                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well, let's see—there are 1,046 members of this Yahoo
                      > > group. That means if we each buy 90,00 shares of
                      > > Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the R&D
                      > > guys to resurrect WP for the Mac . . .
                      > >
                      > > It's a mad plan, but it—just—might—work.
                      > >
                      > > Light the incense pots! Unfurl the forbidden parchment!
                      > > This creature will LIVE!!
                      > >
                      > > JS
                      >
                      >
                      > I like this guy.
                      >
                      > John R.
                      >
                      So do I John. So do I.
                    • John Sandel
                      I didn t read the announcement. What are mere numbers in the face of our eternal desire to see 20-year-old software stagger pitifully into the third
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I didn't read the announcement. What are mere numbers in the face of
                        our eternal desire to see 20-year-old software stagger pitifully into
                        the third millennium?

                        I'm mad with shareholder power—MAD, I tell you! Nothing will stop me
                        from reanimating this tattered corpse . . .

                        JS




                        On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

                        >> John Sandel wrote:
                        >>
                        >> there are 1,046 member of this Yahoo group. That means if we each
                        >> buy 90,00 shares of Corel, we'll have a majority and can direct the
                        >> R&D guys to resurrect WP for the Mac
                        >
                        > You missed this part of the announcement:
                        > "Vector said it would still own about 66 per cent of Corel
                      • krcstudio
                        Yes. Thanks very much. I read yesterday about universal binaries so I guess this is what I need to look for with this new MAC. k
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Yes. Thanks very much. I read yesterday about universal binaries so
                          I guess this is what I need to look for with this new MAC.
                          k

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn"
                          <darylngee@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Sorry about your confusion. An operating system
                          > is the basic software that tells a computer (the
                          > hardware) what to do. You might call an operating
                          > system the life force of a computer. You need an
                          > operating system OS 10.4, for example) before any
                          > other software (WP, for example). Macs run on Mac
                          > operating systems (OS 9, Mac OS X) while a lot of
                          > others like HP or Sony or IBM/Lenovo or Dell run
                          > on Windows, Windows XP, etc.) There are also
                          > other operating systems out there (Linix, for
                          > example).
                          >
                          > The older (not oldest) Mac operating system was
                          > OS 9. The newest one is OS 10.4+. Mac just
                          > brought out the MacBook Pro computer, which has
                          > 10.4+ and won't also run the older OS 9; the
                          > machines just before yours did run both so that
                          > people making programs could have a transition
                          > period before Mac went to Mac OS 1.4 and beyond.
                          > Does this help?
                          >
                          > Daryl
                          >
                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, krcstudio <no_reply@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your help. So does the Mac book Pro
                          > > have OS X? sorry I'm very new to this.
                          >
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.