Installing WP

  • krcstudio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hello-
      I purchased a Mac Book Pro not realizing that Corel no longer makes WP
      for MACs. But I found a site on line that allows you to download a
      copy of WP for MACs. My question is this file has a .bin extension.
      Is this similar to the .exe on a PC and I will be able to open it
      without problems to my system on the MAC?
      Thanks for any insight on this.
    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
        The short answer is no.

        WP for Macs ran on the old 9.x operating system,
        known as Classic for those with the Mac OS X
        also, operating system. The systems ran side by
        side, as it were. If you had a Mac OS X program,
        the computer ran that, and if you had on older
        9.x system, the Mac ran on that also, if you had
        it installed. On everything up to but not
        including the MacBook Pro, you could have run
        Corel for Macs.

        The new MacPros don’t have OS 9.x, and as far as
        I know, no one yet has been able to retro-fit a
        Classic operating system into the MacBook Pros.
        It’s pretty early to tell.

        If you use Corel WP/Mac and want to keep it, you
        might try to buy an inexpensive used or
        refurbished Mac for just that, which is what I
        did. Just make sure it runs the “Classic”
        operating system or earlier. There may be other
        programs out there which are equally or almost
        equally good. Maybe you could find a cheap
        Windows WordPerfect version or find some other
        workaround. Good luck.
        Daryl

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

          > The new MacPros don't have OS 9.x, and as far as
          > I know, no one yet has been able to retro-fit a
          > Classic operating system into the MacBook Pros.
          > It's pretty early to tell.

          It is. Several people are working on emulators.