Re: [wpmac] Some observations and yes more questions

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14 5:21 PM
      Randy,
      I guess this means I will never get a perfect Word Perfect to MS Word conversion. I will be happy if I can get it to convert without a need to go in and reformat the text. I can always save the font selection and other specialized tasks for the pc side. I have tried a couple freeware word processors on the PC Open Office and AbiWord both of which are available for OSX too and seamlessly transfer files back and forth from Word. My best bet is probably going to be getting a copy of Word Perfect 12 for the PC, but as you say Word is the standard and I don’t think another word processor could come close to its features, so it will be a trade off.
      Regarding the speed with my Pentium 4 3GHZ, it seems to only hiccup when I first run Word for a minute or so. After the first run I can close it and re-run Word and there is no slowdown. Some type of initializing must be going on in the background when it first run’s in Windows.
      Lately I have been looking into these OS X distributions that will boot on a partition of a plain PC. I’m thinking while they may not be stable enough to replace a Mac, it might be perfect for me. Install a word pro in the pirate OS X on the PC and transfer files from my real MAC directly there! This plan sounds good theory.

      "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
      One of the things that caused WP/Mac never to become as popular as those
      of us on this list think that it should have become was the fact that no
      one has ever come up with a truly excellent WP to Word translator. The
      reality is that for any word processor to be a big success, it has to be
      able to read and write to Word format for compatibility with Word, which
      is the de facto standard in most inatances. Less than perfect
      translation often means a lot of work when you have to go back and forth.