Re: [wpmac] Mac word processor question, part II (thank you all!)

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
      I have 10.3 on a Lombard 333 w/384 megs RAM and it works OK.

      Not speedy, but very servicable.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

        > the text is a bit small, especially considering the
        > size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
        > without changing the printed font size?

        Go to the WP and OS X link in the Links section here. At the top of the
        page click on the Macintosh link, then on the WordPerfect for the
        Macintosh page. This is a treasure of tips for WP on OSX. Scroll
        down to Automatically Set the Zoom Level.

        Display is not good at every zoom level and font: spaces between
        words can disappear etc. But it's fine for some zoom levels and fonts:
        just experiment a little.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006

          > Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
          > WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
          > Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
          > harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
          > provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

          It does, but the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here)
          fixes it.

          John R.
        • queryist2005
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
            <ksaunders242@...> wrote:
            Is there a way to increase the font size without changing the
            printed font size?

            I found that decreasing the resolution of my monitor increases
            the size of everything -- works better on CRT monitors than on
            LCD's.

            Ron Fradkin
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2006
              >John Rethorst wrote:
              >
              >the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here) fixes it.

              Thanks, John! SmoothType ($10 shareware) improves the legibility of
              Times (Postscript) and Times New Roman (TrueType) in WordPerfect
              quite a bit. FYI, I prefer 4-bit smoothing to subpixel smoothing.
              --

              Bob Stern
            • eleu navarro
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                Mac OSX will run fine on imac, 400mhz, 384 ram. It
                will run fine for most task.

                Have fun.