Re: [wpmac] Zoom & Font Legibility (was: Mac word processor question, part II)

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
      >Kevin Saunders wrote:
      >
      >My only complaint is the text is a bit small, especially considering
      >the size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font
      >size without changing the printed font size?

      WordPerfect has a Zoom popup menu in the Layout toolbar, between the
      table icon and the ruler eyedropper icon. However, I find it useless
      because moderate zoom factors (say, 120%) cause the spacing between
      words to be displayed incorrectly, depending on the font. In Times
      New Roman Truetype, the spacing often is exaggerated so that some
      words appear as if they erroneously have two spaces between them. In
      Times Postscript, the opposite occurs, so that words often appear run
      together with no space between them.

      Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
      WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
      Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
      harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
      provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

      The above issues are why I'm trying to use OS X native word
      processors as much as possible.
      --

      Bob Stern
    • Douglas Bouley
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
        I have 10.3 on a Lombard 333 w/384 megs RAM and it works OK.

        Not speedy, but very servicable.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

          > the text is a bit small, especially considering the
          > size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
          > without changing the printed font size?

          Go to the WP and OS X link in the Links section here. At the top of the
          page click on the Macintosh link, then on the WordPerfect for the
          Macintosh page. This is a treasure of tips for WP on OSX. Scroll
          down to Automatically Set the Zoom Level.

          Display is not good at every zoom level and font: spaces between
          words can disappear etc. But it's fine for some zoom levels and fonts:
          just experiment a little.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006

            > Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
            > WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
            > Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
            > harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
            > provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

            It does, but the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here)
            fixes it.

            John R.
          • queryist2005
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
              <ksaunders242@...> wrote:
              Is there a way to increase the font size without changing the
              printed font size?

              I found that decreasing the resolution of my monitor increases
              the size of everything -- works better on CRT monitors than on
              LCD's.

              Ron Fradkin
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 12, 2006
                >John Rethorst wrote:
                >
                >the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here) fixes it.

                Thanks, John! SmoothType ($10 shareware) improves the legibility of
                Times (Postscript) and Times New Roman (TrueType) in WordPerfect
                quite a bit. FYI, I prefer 4-bit smoothing to subpixel smoothing.
                --

                Bob Stern
              • eleu navarro
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                  Mac OSX will run fine on imac, 400mhz, 384 ram. It
                  will run fine for most task.

                  Have fun.