Re: [wpmac] Mac word processor question, part II (thank you all!)

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006

      > .......When 10.3 (Panther) came out, I had some concerns about
      whether it
      > would run slowly on the iBook (because various pundits claimed that
      > you needed a minimum of 500 meg for OSX to run well), but it has been
      > just fine, so you needn't have any worries.

      That's great. I've heard OS X might run slow on my IMAC and the
      classic OS run's very fast compared to my last MAC (powerpc performa),
      so I wasn't keen on crippling it. It's nice to know incase I find
      an inexpensive used copy of Panther or Tiger, since their is so much
      software that is OSX only.

      I installed Word Perfect about an hour ago, wow this is a perfect fit
      for me! I can't believe this is a free (and legal) download! My
      only complaint is the text is a bit small, especially considering the
      size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
      without changing the printed font size? I hope that make's sense!

      --Kevin
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
        >Kevin Saunders wrote:
        >
        >My only complaint is the text is a bit small, especially considering
        >the size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font
        >size without changing the printed font size?

        WordPerfect has a Zoom popup menu in the Layout toolbar, between the
        table icon and the ruler eyedropper icon. However, I find it useless
        because moderate zoom factors (say, 120%) cause the spacing between
        words to be displayed incorrectly, depending on the font. In Times
        New Roman Truetype, the spacing often is exaggerated so that some
        words appear as if they erroneously have two spaces between them. In
        Times Postscript, the opposite occurs, so that words often appear run
        together with no space between them.

        Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
        WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
        Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
        harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
        provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

        The above issues are why I'm trying to use OS X native word
        processors as much as possible.
        --

        Bob Stern
      • Douglas Bouley
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
          I have 10.3 on a Lombard 333 w/384 megs RAM and it works OK.

          Not speedy, but very servicable.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

            > the text is a bit small, especially considering the
            > size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
            > without changing the printed font size?

            Go to the WP and OS X link in the Links section here. At the top of the
            page click on the Macintosh link, then on the WordPerfect for the
            Macintosh page. This is a treasure of tips for WP on OSX. Scroll
            down to Automatically Set the Zoom Level.

            Display is not good at every zoom level and font: spaces between
            words can disappear etc. But it's fine for some zoom levels and fonts:
            just experiment a little.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006

              > Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
              > WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
              > Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
              > harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
              > provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

              It does, but the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here)
              fixes it.

              John R.
            • queryist2005
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
                <ksaunders242@...> wrote:
                Is there a way to increase the font size without changing the
                printed font size?

                I found that decreasing the resolution of my monitor increases
                the size of everything -- works better on CRT monitors than on
                LCD's.

                Ron Fradkin
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 12, 2006
                  >John Rethorst wrote:
                  >
                  >the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here) fixes it.

                  Thanks, John! SmoothType ($10 shareware) improves the legibility of
                  Times (Postscript) and Times New Roman (TrueType) in WordPerfect
                  quite a bit. FYI, I prefer 4-bit smoothing to subpixel smoothing.
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                • eleu navarro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                    Mac OSX will run fine on imac, 400mhz, 384 ram. It
                    will run fine for most task.

                    Have fun.