Mac word processor question, part II (thank you all!)

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
      I was suprised and grateful to recieve all of your
      I finally got around to downloading WP and the upgrade, so
      I am gonna bring it over to my IMAC tonight and see how it
      goes. I like this idea of using a pdf driver it would
      eliminate any problems with formatting or fonts during the
      transition from MAC to PC but I wouldnt be able to make
      any last minute adjustments on the PC before printing and
      I tend to do that alot, so for now I am going to stick to
      finding a word pro that is the "right fit" for my IMAC/PC
      setup, but the pdf driver is definetly something I will look
      into once I am settled on the Word Pro software.

      PS. Does anyone know how OS X run's on a 400 mhz G3 with
      384megs of ram?

      Thanks again

      Kevin
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
        On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:43 PM, kevin wrote:

        > PS. Does anyone know how OS X run's on a 400 mhz G3 with
        > 384megs of ram?

        I have *almost* that configuration on an iBook--it's 500 mhz, but is
        a G3, and has 384 megs of ram. OSX seems to run just fine on it. I
        currently have it up to 10.3.9 (that's the last release of Panther).
        I just haven't gotten around to upgrading to Tiger (10.4) yet. (I
        also have a Mini with Tiger running, that I use more frequently than
        the laptop.)

        When 10.3 (Panther) came out, I had some concerns about whether it
        would run slowly on the iBook (because various pundits claimed that
        you needed a minimum of 500 meg for OSX to run well), but it has been
        just fine, so you needn't have any worries.

        --Rick Albright
      • kevin
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006

          > .......When 10.3 (Panther) came out, I had some concerns about
          whether it
          > would run slowly on the iBook (because various pundits claimed that
          > you needed a minimum of 500 meg for OSX to run well), but it has been
          > just fine, so you needn't have any worries.

          That's great. I've heard OS X might run slow on my IMAC and the
          classic OS run's very fast compared to my last MAC (powerpc performa),
          so I wasn't keen on crippling it. It's nice to know incase I find
          an inexpensive used copy of Panther or Tiger, since their is so much
          software that is OSX only.

          I installed Word Perfect about an hour ago, wow this is a perfect fit
          for me! I can't believe this is a free (and legal) download! My
          only complaint is the text is a bit small, especially considering the
          size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
          without changing the printed font size? I hope that make's sense!

          --Kevin
        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
            >Kevin Saunders wrote:
            >
            >My only complaint is the text is a bit small, especially considering
            >the size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font
            >size without changing the printed font size?

            WordPerfect has a Zoom popup menu in the Layout toolbar, between the
            table icon and the ruler eyedropper icon. However, I find it useless
            because moderate zoom factors (say, 120%) cause the spacing between
            words to be displayed incorrectly, depending on the font. In Times
            New Roman Truetype, the spacing often is exaggerated so that some
            words appear as if they erroneously have two spaces between them. In
            Times Postscript, the opposite occurs, so that words often appear run
            together with no space between them.

            Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
            WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
            Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
            harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
            provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

            The above issues are why I'm trying to use OS X native word
            processors as much as possible.
            --

            Bob Stern
          • Douglas Bouley
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
              I have 10.3 on a Lombard 333 w/384 megs RAM and it works OK.

              Not speedy, but very servicable.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

                > the text is a bit small, especially considering the
                > size of the Imac's monitor! Is there a way to increase the font size
                > without changing the printed font size?

                Go to the WP and OS X link in the Links section here. At the top of the
                page click on the Macintosh link, then on the WordPerfect for the
                Macintosh page. This is a treasure of tips for WP on OSX. Scroll
                down to Automatically Set the Zoom Level.

                Display is not good at every zoom level and font: spaces between
                words can disappear etc. But it's fine for some zoom levels and fonts:
                just experiment a little.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006

                  > Aside from the zoom issue, if you compare the same font in
                  > WordPerfect with an OS X native word processor such as TextEdit,
                  > Nisus, Mellel or Pages, you'll see that a given font is thinner and
                  > harder to read in WordPerfect. I suspect that's because OS X
                  > provides better font smoothing for native apps than Classic apps.

                  It does, but the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here)
                  fixes it.

                  John R.
                • queryist2005
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2006
                    <ksaunders242@...> wrote:
                    Is there a way to increase the font size without changing the
                    printed font size?

                    I found that decreasing the resolution of my monitor increases
                    the size of everything -- works better on CRT monitors than on
                    LCD's.

                    Ron Fradkin
                  • Bob Stern
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 12, 2006
                      >John Rethorst wrote:
                      >
                      >the SmoothType control panel (in the Files section here) fixes it.

                      Thanks, John! SmoothType ($10 shareware) improves the legibility of
                      Times (Postscript) and Times New Roman (TrueType) in WordPerfect
                      quite a bit. FYI, I prefer 4-bit smoothing to subpixel smoothing.
                      --

                      Bob Stern
                    • eleu navarro
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                        Mac OSX will run fine on imac, 400mhz, 384 ram. It
                        will run fine for most task.

                        Have fun.