Re: Help with Imac and Wordpro

  • Jim Hughes
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
      <jrethorst@...> wrote:
      >Not off topic at all. WP would run very well on your G3, probably
      faster
      > than anything else except WriteNow, if that runs on 9.2.

      John et al: WriteNow4.02 runs fine--and typically fast--on 9.2.2, at
      least on my iBook. I am a writer, and depend on both WriteNow
      and WP. They have different virtues, but I find I need both, just as
      I find System 9 to be better for my purposes than OSX. So I've
      come back to booting in 9. If anyone wants to try WriteNow, a
      while back I stumbled upon a Yale.edu site about the Chinese
      language that recommended WN, and offered the following link
      for downloading the long-dead and much-loved word processor:

      http://www.homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/downloads/WriteN
      ow4.sit

      Since I already had it on my original disks, I didn't try the
      download myself. For subsequent upgrading to 4.02, if needed,
      try MacEase.com, which has a WriteNow section.

      Best,
      Jim Hughes
    • James ARTHURS
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
        Wordperfect would be ... well... perfect for your situation.
        No question! Ifyou need to know how to get it, e-mail me.

        Jimmy.
        ------------

        On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:37 PM, kevin wrote:

        > Hi, I hope this doesn't go too off topic. I use a PC as my main
        > computer, but I've always kept a Mac around for a second computer and
        > that computer is generally the one I do writing on because I like
        > Mac's
        > and there are less distractions.
        >
        > Anyway my mac is kinda older. It's an Imac 333mhz G3 with 384mb of
        > ram. I am running os 9.2. I would like a word processor that I
        > has a good spell checker and can output to a pc compatible format, so
        > I can transfer the file to my pc and print it out. What is my best
        > bet? Anything free? Would wordperfect be a good choice?
        >
        > Any advice is appreciated.
        >
        > Kevin

      • Archer Family
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
          One method is to use the LaserWriter driver (or the PS driver, I
          believe) to save as a PostScript file; Preview automatically converts
          PostScript files to PDF files, which can then be saved.

          ---Tim