Print to PDF (was: Help with Imac and Wordpro)

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006

      > you can output as a pdf (various methods)

      I mentioned Ed Mendelson's PDF driver, and I just remembered the
      $20 Print to PDF. I've also heard of xpdf, which (like Ed's method)
      uses Adobe's free PS driver. I don't know if it's been compiled for
      OS 9, though.

      What other methods are there? This would be good to put in the
      Tips file, since PDF is becoming more popular all the time.

      John R.
    • Jim Hughes
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
        <jrethorst@...> wrote:
        >Not off topic at all. WP would run very well on your G3, probably
        faster
        > than anything else except WriteNow, if that runs on 9.2.

        John et al: WriteNow4.02 runs fine--and typically fast--on 9.2.2, at
        least on my iBook. I am a writer, and depend on both WriteNow
        and WP. They have different virtues, but I find I need both, just as
        I find System 9 to be better for my purposes than OSX. So I've
        come back to booting in 9. If anyone wants to try WriteNow, a
        while back I stumbled upon a Yale.edu site about the Chinese
        language that recommended WN, and offered the following link
        for downloading the long-dead and much-loved word processor:

        http://www.homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/downloads/WriteN
        ow4.sit

        Since I already had it on my original disks, I didn't try the
        download myself. For subsequent upgrading to 4.02, if needed,
        try MacEase.com, which has a WriteNow section.

        Best,
        Jim Hughes
      • James ARTHURS
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
          Wordperfect would be ... well... perfect for your situation.
          No question! Ifyou need to know how to get it, e-mail me.

          Jimmy.
          ------------

          On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:37 PM, kevin wrote:

          > Hi, I hope this doesn't go too off topic. I use a PC as my main
          > computer, but I've always kept a Mac around for a second computer and
          > that computer is generally the one I do writing on because I like
          > Mac's
          > and there are less distractions.
          >
          > Anyway my mac is kinda older. It's an Imac 333mhz G3 with 384mb of
          > ram. I am running os 9.2. I would like a word processor that I
          > has a good spell checker and can output to a pc compatible format, so
          > I can transfer the file to my pc and print it out. What is my best
          > bet? Anything free? Would wordperfect be a good choice?
          >
          > Any advice is appreciated.
          >
          > Kevin

        • Archer Family
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
            One method is to use the LaserWriter driver (or the PS driver, I
            believe) to save as a PostScript file; Preview automatically converts
            PostScript files to PDF files, which can then be saved.

            ---Tim