Help with Imac and Wordpro

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
      Hi, I hope this doesn't go too off topic. I use a PC as my main
      computer, but I've always kept a Mac around for a second computer and
      that computer is generally the one I do writing on because I like Mac's
      and there are less distractions.

      Anyway my mac is kinda older. It's an Imac 333mhz G3 with 384mb of
      ram. I am running os 9.2. I would like a word processor that I
      has a good spell checker and can output to a pc compatible format, so
      I can transfer the file to my pc and print it out. What is my best
      bet? Anything free? Would wordperfect be a good choice?

      Any advice is appreciated.

      Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I hope this doesn't go too off topic. I use a PC as my main
        > computer, but I've always kept a Mac around for a second computer and
        > that computer is generally the one I do writing on because I like Mac's
        > and there are less distractions.
        >
        > Anyway my mac is kinda older. It's an Imac 333mhz G3 with 384mb of
        > ram. I am running os 9.2. I would like a word processor that I
        > has a good spell checker and can output to a pc compatible format, so
        > I can transfer the file to my pc and print it out. What is my best
        > bet? Anything free? Would wordperfect be a good choice?

        Not off topic at all. WP would run very well on your G3, probably faster
        than anything else except WriteNow, if that runs on 9.2. WP will run
        in 800K of ram, although I'd give it at least 2mb; its suggested size
        is 6mb.

        WP's spell check is as good as I've seen: fast, editable main dictionary,
        including hyphenation points, editable 32k user dictionary, document
        dictionary, contextual spelling option.

        WP exports to WP PC versions 5 through 8. I'm not sure (check earlier
        discussion in this group), but I think the current WP PC format has not
        changed since v. 8. You don't say what word processor you use on the
        PC, though. WP Mac can export to MS Word Mac v. 5 and 6, if Word PC
        can read those. One other option is to print to a PDF document on
        the Mac, using Edward Mendelson's free setup (see the "WP and OSX"
        link in the Links section here) and print that from your PC. Or transfer
        by RTF.

        The last version of WP Mac, 3.5e, and the OS 8/9/Classic updater,
        are free; see the Links section here. I can't think of anything else
        with comparable functionality that's free except Fullwrite, which may
        run on OS 9; I'm not sure. Its download, if still available, does not
        include dictionaries.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
          If you're in OS9, then WP is perfect. It can save as Word6, so
          printing from your PC should be simple if you have Word on that.
          Alternatively, you can output as a pdf (various methods) and then you
          don't even need Word on the PC.

          Geoff

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006

            > you can output as a pdf (various methods)

            I mentioned Ed Mendelson's PDF driver, and I just remembered the
            $20 Print to PDF. I've also heard of xpdf, which (like Ed's method)
            uses Adobe's free PS driver. I don't know if it's been compiled for
            OS 9, though.

            What other methods are there? This would be good to put in the
            Tips file, since PDF is becoming more popular all the time.

            John R.
          • Jim Hughes
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
              <jrethorst@...> wrote:
              >Not off topic at all. WP would run very well on your G3, probably
              faster
              > than anything else except WriteNow, if that runs on 9.2.

              John et al: WriteNow4.02 runs fine--and typically fast--on 9.2.2, at
              least on my iBook. I am a writer, and depend on both WriteNow
              and WP. They have different virtues, but I find I need both, just as
              I find System 9 to be better for my purposes than OSX. So I've
              come back to booting in 9. If anyone wants to try WriteNow, a
              while back I stumbled upon a Yale.edu site about the Chinese
              language that recommended WN, and offered the following link
              for downloading the long-dead and much-loved word processor:

              http://www.homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/downloads/WriteN
              ow4.sit

              Since I already had it on my original disks, I didn't try the
              download myself. For subsequent upgrading to 4.02, if needed,
              try MacEase.com, which has a WriteNow section.

              Best,
              Jim Hughes
            • James ARTHURS
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
                Wordperfect would be ... well... perfect for your situation.
                No question! Ifyou need to know how to get it, e-mail me.

                Jimmy.
                ------------

                On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:37 PM, kevin wrote:

                > Hi, I hope this doesn't go too off topic. I use a PC as my main
                > computer, but I've always kept a Mac around for a second computer and
                > that computer is generally the one I do writing on because I like
                > Mac's
                > and there are less distractions.
                >
                > Anyway my mac is kinda older. It's an Imac 333mhz G3 with 384mb of
                > ram. I am running os 9.2. I would like a word processor that I
                > has a good spell checker and can output to a pc compatible format, so
                > I can transfer the file to my pc and print it out. What is my best
                > bet? Anything free? Would wordperfect be a good choice?
                >
                > Any advice is appreciated.
                >
                > Kevin

              • Archer Family
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
                  One method is to use the LaserWriter driver (or the PS driver, I
                  believe) to save as a PostScript file; Preview automatically converts
                  PostScript files to PDF files, which can then be saved.

                  ---Tim