FrameMaker Petition

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
      For those who don't know, Adobe's FrameMaker was/is a dynamite program
      for authoring large works.
      http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/main.html
      Unfortunately Adobe never released an OS X-native version of FrameMaker,
      and with the advent of Intel-based Macs, users can no longer run the
      classic version of FrameMaker since the new MacTel machines can't run
      Classic.

      This was sent to me by a hopeful FrameMaker user (~flipper,
      lord.flipper@...):

      Adobe has made a statement, recently, regarding the 'possibility' of
      renewing their FrameMaker for the Mac platform. They had released 7.2 for
      Windows and Solaris, and were asked about a Macintosh revival. The
      comment they made was of the sort that left the door open.

      The statement was made last November, at an Adobe event called Adobe
      FrameMaker 2005 Chautaugua, held in Raleigh, Karl Matthews, Group Product
      Manager of Publishing Technologies at Adobe said that "...if [Adobe]
      see's changes in the market and [Adobe] see's an opportunity [in the
      Macintosh market for FrameMaker], then we'll respond to that."

      Apple Computer, apparently is still using FrameMaker, in OS 9, to produce
      their own user guides, and apparently Apple's technical writers are
      amongst the folks making noise in the direction of Adobe. So, there is
      some serious interest.

      There's an online petition for folks who are interested in a version of
      FrameMaker for OS X. They ask that people only sign once, as the
      signatures are proofread, and all dupes have to be removed manually.

      <http://www.petitiononline.com/fmforosx/petition.html>

      There's also an online site, FrameMaker For OS X.org, with lots of
      additional information about the need for a version of FrameMaker for OS
      X, that is worth checking out:

      <http://www.fm4osx.org/>

      And here is the FrameMaker user group mailing list site, for anyone who
      is interested:

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

        > Apple Computer, apparently is still using FrameMaker, in OS 9, to produce
        > their own user guides, and apparently Apple's technical writers are
        > amongst the folks making noise in the direction of Adobe. So, there is
        > some serious interest.

        I've heard quite a few people say that for long and technical documents,
        Framemaker is the best choice.

        This fits with more general discussion suggesting that many users
        requiring depth of implementation of features still rely on Classic for
        important parts of their workflow.

        Kinda ironic, and IMO not Apple's best business decision, to leave
        Classic out of Rosetta. But I hear more about third-party efforts every
        day.