WordPerfect as Swiss Army knife

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      Hi, Everyone. Though it's not about Mac software, I couldn't resist
      sending on something I found in a SlashDot discussion of OpenOffice and
      its alternatives. WP's superiority over Word was well established
      early, and was Corel's to waste. Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================

      One generation of immigrant hates the next
      (Score:5, Interesting)
      by smchris (464899) on Monday March 06, @07:54AM (#14857032)

      Same thing with office suites. Some historical perspective.

      After a year of DisplayWrite 2 in the amber screen dark ages, virtually
      all my office work has been with WordPerfect. Over 10 years ago I was
      creating quick-and-dirty laser printed trifolds with WordPerfect
      containing stuff like complex, rotated clip-off forms. Virtually
      everything was a frame. Essentially DTP. And maintaining merges for
      mailing lists and formatted committee listings and the like via macros.
      20 years ago, we were using delimited dbase output to WordPerfect
      template merges to run a summer school of over 2000 students.

      To me, Word has _always_ been crap. It shows it roots as a text editor.
      You can say "doh" but my conception, spoiled as I was with WordPerfect,
      was that the program should be a swiss army knife capable of everything
      from DTP to a rich macro programming language.

      As a clone of crap, I didn't expect much from OpenOffice.org -- and
      1.0.0 would crash out fairly regularly on my linux so it fit my
      prejudices. But now I see my attitude was shaped by WordPerfect. Since
      Scribus is coming along nicely, I can use that for anything cool. Text
      is text. They are all good now. And Abiword usually does most of what I
      want if I know I'm just putting some text/columns/tables/graphics on paper.

      In a sense it is karma coming back on Microsoft. I once had a guy argue
      with me that having fewer features was Word's strength. However, by
      defining word processing as something simple and distinct from DTP they
      lowered the bar to where open source projects could reasonably hope to
      compete.
    • R. Mansfield
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
        I've held on to my WP51 disks and manual, still tucked in the gray
        box, all under my desk. Well before I switched to the Mac, I think I
        spent more time mastering WP for DOS than any other program I've ever
        used. And it was amazing what it would do.

        I even have an installation floating around somewhere in VirtualPC.

        I don't know why I've held on to it. So much was tied into
        keystrokes, I doubt I could even remember how to use it. I guess in
        case of the Apocalypse and we're all forced to go back to DOS, I'll
        be ready.
        Rick Mansfield [ p. 502 .387 .6414 e. RMansfield@... ]
        Website & Blog: http://thislamp.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
          I still use all the DOS key strokes on the Mac - it saves fingers.

          Geoff