Re: [wpmac] New To MAC & Forum: Love WordPerfect. Loathe Word.

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
      Virtual pc works rather well on a G5 dual. and, of course, that lets
      you keep the version of WP you are used to.

      Wordperfect Mac running under Classic is even more seamless, and
      while WP mac has a great interface and we all love it, it may differ
      too much from the Windows version for your tastes. As long as you
      successfully install classic under OSX 10.4 (Tiger) --I had some
      problems with that--- you should be able to use WP 3.5e for the
      foreseeable future. Still some of the work-arounds to integrate WP
      3.5e with OSX are not entirely seamless.

      I for one am learning to use Word better (since it cannot be avoided
      and is a powerful program) and will pick up on an OSX "Word
      compatible" word processor for my future work one of these days. I
      will be looking particularly at Mellel (sp?) and Nisus Writer Express
      though there's half a dozen out there.

      The next release of Nisus Writer Express will include support for
      building tables of contents and indexes. That's when I'll try it out.

      Until then there's no problem for me in continuing to create in WP 3.5e.

      Since you face a learning curve almost any direction you look, I'd
      advise you to do some window shopping. You'll want to choose a
      replacement for WP by the time you decide to upgrade your OSX system
      beyond Tiger. At that point, the Classic environment that runs
      WP3.5e will no longer be supported by Apple, and 3rd party unix hacks
      can't be counted on to work for something you use daily.

      It will be interesting to see what happens with Virtual PC at that point.

      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
    • jmhkdh
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
        Geoff and Randall-

        Thanks for your answers, as well as reasons.

        Is it possible to customize the Virtaul PC install so that it's not so
        cumbersome... i.e.
        just install the very minimum Virtual that's required, and then only
        install WordPerfect? (Not the entire WP Office Suite)

        First, 'reveal codes' is the best idea for making sure formal business
        correspondence is, well...
        word/format perfect. My office matters are somewhat formal and often
        legal, so having a professional doc is important. Not one single file
        of mine from WP 11 transferred to Word/Mac. Obviously, the
        content/archives for many years worth of business files is of
        importance, but it's also the formatting of these docs/archives that are
        so equally important.

        I can live without the complete WP Suite, but I can't live without my
        beloved basic WP!

        How about this: Convince Steve Jobs that buying WP Office Suite from
        Corel would be incredibly smart and savvy thing to do... and of course,
        pre-load all Apple Computers and products w/WP Suite???
        Just a wonderful little daydream of a thought.

        Again, Thank You

        Michael

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > >Production, Publishing and Songwriter Representation, where the
        > >industry standard for audio recording and most all 'creative' related
        > >businesses like video, film, graphic design, advertising...etc use
        > >Mac's. My recording studio is a Mac based DAW (Digital Audio
        > >Workstation) w/a ProTools Recording setup. However, the office
        > >business has been PC based.... hence, WordPerfect.
        > >
        > >Being absolutely fed-up w/ Windows, I enthusiastically switched the
        > >office system to a Mac G5 Dual.....
        > >
        > >You guessed it. NO WORDPERFECT!!! Help .... PLEASE.
        > >
        > >I've searched and re-searched for an answer.
        > >(Other than organizing a buy-out of Corel, then merge w/Apple)
        > >
        > >What's the best way to go?
        > >
        > >Classic Mode w/Tiger OS-X and WordPerfect 3.5? (seems old)
        > >OR, the dreaded Virtual Pee-C, w/WordPerfect...? (seems scary)
        > >NeoOffice, and other new companies, etc....? (seems shakey)

      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
          jmhkdh said:

          > Not one single file
          >of mine from WP 11 transferred to Word/Mac. Obviously, the
          >content/archives for many years worth of business files is of
          >importance, but it's also the formatting of these docs/archives that are
          >so equally important.

          There are two ways to do this in a batch, and save all of your
          formatting. One that costs some money, and one that's free. Both assume
          that you still have access to your old PC to do the conversion prior to
          migrating your files to your new Macintosh.

          1 - Download the free trial version of WordPerfect v.12 for Windows and
          use the built-in translators. which reportedly work really well, to
          convert your files to Word format.

          <http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Trials/Login&pid=10
          47022958453&cid=1047022992398>

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/6zgal

          2 - CrossWords, a popular Windows WordPerfect to Word conversion utility,
          will allow your documents to be converted in a batch.

          http://www.levitjames.com/crosswords/CrossWords.html

          Randy B. Singer, Attorney at Law

          * Moderator of:
          The MacAttorney Computer User Group
          * Author of:
          The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office
          <http://tinyurl.com/6pyvt>
          * Webmaster of:
          The Law Office Software List for the Macintosh Computer
          <http://www.macattorney.com/>