Re: [wpmac] what in OS X can open a Mac WordPerfect file

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
      What's the nature of the files in terms of complexity. Do you use
      graphics/ tables/ footnotes or endnotes/ complex styles. All of the
      above present problems, so it would be helpful to have a brief idea
      in order to advise you what is best to do.

      Geoff

      >I have many many WordPerfect files from over 10 years of using WP. I
      >have been booting in OS 9 to use them, and also I have successfully
      >run WordPerfect in Classic in OS X. But with the coming of the Intel
      >Mac the handwriting is on the wall. At some point (when I have to get
      >a new computer) I will need to be able to open those files in some OS
      >X application. In OS X I am currently using Mellel as a word
      >processor, and am quite happy with it, but Mellel has no intention of
      >including a WP file translator (even though they have lots of others).
      >
      >So, my first choice would be to find something in OS X that can open
      >my WP files. A distant second choice would be to translate the WP
      >files while in OS 9 into something else that could then be read by
      >Mellel or something else in OS X.
      >
      >Any suggestions.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Derbes
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
        I believe Nisus Express can open WP files. It is an OS X native
        application. Dunno if there
        is an Intel based version yet, but there surely will be.

        David Derbes

        On Feb 13, 2006, at 6:43 AM, frumker wrote:

        > I have many many WordPerfect files from over 10 years of using WP. I
        > have been booting in OS 9 to use them, and also I have successfully
        > run WordPerfect in Classic in OS X. But with the coming of the Intel
        > Mac the handwriting is on the wall. At some point (when I have to get
        > a new computer) I will need to be able to open those files in some OS
        > X application. In OS X I am currently using Mellel as a word
        > processor, and am quite happy with it, but Mellel has no intention of
        > including a WP file translator (even though they have lots of others).
        >
        > So, my first choice would be to find something in OS X that can open
        > my WP files. A distant second choice would be to translate the WP
        > files while in OS 9 into something else that could then be read by
        > Mellel or something else in OS X.
        >
        > Any suggestions.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • frumker
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2006

          > What's the nature of the files in terms of complexity. Do you use
          > graphics/ tables/ footnotes or endnotes/ complex styles. All of the
          > above present problems, so it would be helpful to have a brief idea
          > in order to advise you what is best to do.

          Most are pretty basic - just straight text. There are some with
          graphics (mostly JPEG), there are some with tables, and some with two
          columns. I have been playing around with Nisus since receiving a
          couple of replies stating that it does open WP. It does, and for the
          straight text, it does very well. It ignores columns.

          Bruce
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2006
            Bruce

            NeoOffice makes a good job of columns, but graphics can go missing.
            Then again, they should be easier to reinsert.

            >> What's the nature of the files in terms of complexity. Do you use
            >> graphics/ tables/ footnotes or endnotes/ complex styles. All of the
            >> above present problems, so it would be helpful to have a brief idea
            >> in order to advise you what is best to do.
            >>

            >Most are pretty basic - just straight text. There are some with
            >graphics (mostly JPEG), there are some with tables, and some with two
            >columns. I have been playing around with Nisus since receiving a
            >couple of replies stating that it does open WP. It does, and for the
            >straight text, it does very well. It ignores columns.
            >
            >Bruce
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • R. Kevin Hill
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
              Abiword will open WPMAC3.5 files. As far as I can tell, it does
              everything except preserve footnotes (and I don't think NeoOffice does
              either). Abiword has a smaller footprint than NeoOffice, I think.

              http://www.abisource.com/download/

              On 2/13/06, frumker <bfrumker@...> wrote:
              > I have many many WordPerfect files from over 10 years of using WP. I
              > have been booting in OS 9 to use them, and also I have successfully
              > run WordPerfect in Classic in OS X. But with the coming of the Intel
              > Mac the handwriting is on the wall. At some point (when I have to get
              > a new computer) I will need to be able to open those files in some OS
              > X application. In OS X I am currently using Mellel as a word
              > processor, and am quite happy with it, but Mellel has no intention of
              > including a WP file translator (even though they have lots of others).
              >
              > So, my first choice would be to find something in OS X that can open
              > my WP files. A distant second choice would be to translate the WP
              > files while in OS 9 into something else that could then be read by
              > Mellel or something else in OS X.
              >
              > Any suggestions.
            • Hotty Pepper
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
                Nisus Writer Express v26b3.app works well

                --- "R. Kevin Hill" <rkevinhill@...> wrote:

                > Abiword will open WPMAC3.5 files. As far as I can
                > tell, it does
                > everything except preserve footnotes (and I don't
                > think NeoOffice does
                > either). Abiword has a smaller footprint than
                > NeoOffice, I think.

                The Hottest Pepper On Line!!!Hotpepper!!!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
                  On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:41:55 -0800, From: "R. Kevin Hill"
                  <rkevinhill@...> wrote

                  >Abiword will open WPMAC3.5 files. As far as I can tell, it does
                  >everything except preserve footnotes (and I don't think NeoOffice does
                  >either). Abiword has a smaller footprint than NeoOffice, I think.
                  >
                  >http://www.abisource.com/download/

                  NeoOffice most certainly does preserve footnotes in WP-Mac files ;)
                  AbiWord is still using an older version of libwpd AFAICT, so it may
                  not yet--but yes, since it's just a word processor, it has a smaller
                  footprint :-)

                  Nisus Writer Express contains a custom version of AbiWord to handle
                  most of its conversions, so it likely contains the same version of
                  libwpd as AbiWord, or perhaps an older one, depending on when/how
                  they pull AbiWord source.

                  Smokey
                  --
                  Smokey Ardisson
                  Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
                    The best reader of WP Mac files is NeoOffice by a mile (footnotes,
                    columns etc). AbiWord is very good, but it still leaves some complex
                    stuff out. Nisus seems only as good as AbiWord (with respect to WP
                    files) and it's not free.

                    Geoff