Spotlight problem

  • jeraldbricker
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hello,

      I’m running OS 10.4.4 on G5 Mac at work. I have my data
      files on a second hard drive in the expansion bay. The
      first drive is reserved for the operating system,
      applications, etc.

      I download and installed the Spotlight plugin for WP docs.
      When I type a phrase in Spotlight the Wordperfect files on
      the second hard drive initally show up in the found list
      and then disappear after the computer completes its search.
      If a copy of the same file is found on the first hard drive
      the search works fine.

      Can anyone advise me how to correct the problem? The plugin
      works great on my laptop (which has a single hard drive) so
      I’m sure it’s an issue related to the second hard drive
      being present.

      Cheers!

      JB
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2006
        Anyone else have this problem with a second drive?
        There are apparently Spotlight issues with second
        drives; see a Google newsgroups search on

        spotlight (disk OR drive) group:comp.sys.mac.*

        Does this happen only with WP documents?

        Does the "Spotlight > WP 1.1" utility, just posted,
        perform differently?

        It doesn't sound like a plug-in issue, but have you
        tried downloading and reinstalling the plug-in? (In
        the system library, not your user library).

        Then reindexing WP documents with terminal command

        mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter

        You can reindex volumes with e.g.

        sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/MacHD.

        or the GUI means I prefer, adding the volume to the
        privacy list and then deleting it from the list (I would
        rather recreate an index than manually modify one).