Classic on Intel Macs

  • David Derbes
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2006
      There is an item today on http://www.macfixit.com:

      "One of the most lamented aspects of Intel-based Macs has been the
      inability to run Classic (Mac OS 9 and prior) applications in any
      capacity. The systems can neither boot from a Mac OS 9 startup
      volume, nor run the Classic emulation environment.

      Gwenole Beauchesne has released a new version of SheepShaver -- an
      Open Source PowerPC MacOS run-time environment -- that is tentatively
      compatible with Intel-based Macs, allowing these systems to run the
      Classic (Mac OS 9 and prior) environment.

      The software requires a copy of MacOS and a PowerMacintosh ROM image.

      The author says:

      "Performance within MacOS X for Intel could not be evaluated.
      However, you may read about the following benchmarks run on a Linux
      platform. They show that performance with the current CPU emulator
      using basic Just-in-Time (JIT) translation techniques is roughly 25%
      of native speeds."

      Some known issues at this point:

      * You may need to boot with a CD-ROM in the drive if you intend
      to use it.
      * You need a NewWorld ROM to take benefit of AltiVec emulation
      as there was no PowerMac PCI ROM supporting G4 processors.
      * NewWorld ROMs can only support MacOS 8.5 and upwards.
      SheepShaver only supports first-generation NewWorld ROMs at this
      time. This means anything below or equal to version 1.6, i.e. not
      Parcels-based ones.

      For more information, see http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/
      en:projects:sheepshaver"

      I have no idea where one finds the ROM image, nor how one tells
      SheepShaver how to use it. Can one clone the ROM from one's own
      PowerPC based Mac?
      Is there some utility around to do this?

      I've bought my wife an Intel based iMac, and so far it's been
      excellent (absent some printing glitch, now fixed with Gimp Print.)

      Anyway, there may be life in Mac WP yet, even after migration to
      Intel...

      David Derbes
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        AboutThisParticularMacintosh has a very nice article explaining precisely
        what you need to do to get SheepShaver running on an Intel-based
        Macintosh. (Thus allowing you to run classic Mac software, such as
        WordPerfect/Mac.)

        http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml

        Randy B. Singer

        MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

          > AboutThisParticularMacintosh has a very nice article explaining precisely
          > what you need to do to get SheepShaver running on an Intel-based
          > Macintosh. (Thus allowing you to run classic Mac software, such as
          > WordPerfect/Mac.)
          >
          > http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml

          Also see http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/08/7352/.
          The number of discussion posts suggests a substantial interest in doing
          this.

          I got an extended loan of an Intel Mac (MacBook Pro) and made a first
          attempt today. Installation is easy, but I wasn't able to get SheepShaver
          to recognize the OS 8.6 folder. Working on it . . .