Re: mystery problem font--appears only in WP

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...> wrote:

      > Before I began using OSX my favorite font was New Century
      > Schoolbook scaled to 13pt type. Since the upgrade all of
      > my old documents appear in a bold italic version of New
      > Century Schoolbook. I have wondered at this for some time.
      > I'd previously decided this happens because there is an
      > italicized font that has a 13 pt character set and so it
      > is being substituted by default.

      Or it's a font mapping gremlin. You can use MetaMacro
      (free in the Files section here) to change that font to any
      other font, in any number of WP documents at once. Ditto
      size, attribute etc.

      > Today I find there is a font that appears only in my WP
      > font menu called "I New Century Schlbk Italic" It does
      > seem to be the offending font, BUT using "font book" or
      > "spotlight" I am unable to find this font anywhere on my
      > computer. It only appears in the WP font menu

      Spotlight doesn't index the Classic System Folder (or
      some other system places) by default. To get Spotlight
      to index the System Folder, run this Applescript:

      do shell script "mdimport -f /\"System Folder\""

      or do the script itself in Terminal. I don't know whether
      the index will update automatically, though. I use the
      free utility "EasyFind" for special searches. Is this font
      physically in your Classic System Folder > Fonts?

      BTW here's a tip I found to use OSX fonts in OS 9. I
      haven't tested it:

      > To use OSX fonts in OS9: TrueType fonts
      > (.ttf - the vast majority) can simply be copied
      > to the fonts folder in your Classic system folder.
      > OpenType fonts (.otf) can be copied there too
      > but need Adobe Type Manager Light to work.
      > That's free, at:
      > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?
      product=15&platform=Macintosh

      John R.
    • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
        Lots of good tips. Thanks John!

        --
        /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
        Legal Director

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Ph: (515) 243 4032
        Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
          You bet. But I forgot to suggest what might be the simplest
          solution. If that Century Schoolbook font was your default,
          you could fix the issue by changing the Font setting in
          Preferences.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson"