mystery problem font--appears only in WP

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      Before I began using OSX my favorite font was New Century Schoolbook
      scaled to 13pt type. Since the upgrade all of my old documents
      appear in a bold italic version of New Century Schoolbook. I have
      wondered at this for some time. I'd previously decided this happens
      because there is an italicized font that has a 13 pt character set
      and so it is being substituted by default.

      Today I find there is a font that appears only in my WP font menu
      called "I New Century Schlbk Italic" It does seem to be the
      offending font, BUT using "font book" or "spotlight" I am unable to
      find this font anywhere on my computer. It only appears in the WP
      font menu---- Gee, this seems strange----any ideas how I get rid of
      it?
      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...> wrote:

        > Before I began using OSX my favorite font was New Century
        > Schoolbook scaled to 13pt type. Since the upgrade all of
        > my old documents appear in a bold italic version of New
        > Century Schoolbook. I have wondered at this for some time.
        > I'd previously decided this happens because there is an
        > italicized font that has a 13 pt character set and so it
        > is being substituted by default.

        Or it's a font mapping gremlin. You can use MetaMacro
        (free in the Files section here) to change that font to any
        other font, in any number of WP documents at once. Ditto
        size, attribute etc.

        > Today I find there is a font that appears only in my WP
        > font menu called "I New Century Schlbk Italic" It does
        > seem to be the offending font, BUT using "font book" or
        > "spotlight" I am unable to find this font anywhere on my
        > computer. It only appears in the WP font menu

        Spotlight doesn't index the Classic System Folder (or
        some other system places) by default. To get Spotlight
        to index the System Folder, run this Applescript:

        do shell script "mdimport -f /\"System Folder\""

        or do the script itself in Terminal. I don't know whether
        the index will update automatically, though. I use the
        free utility "EasyFind" for special searches. Is this font
        physically in your Classic System Folder > Fonts?

        BTW here's a tip I found to use OSX fonts in OS 9. I
        haven't tested it:

        > To use OSX fonts in OS9: TrueType fonts
        > (.ttf - the vast majority) can simply be copied
        > to the fonts folder in your Classic system folder.
        > OpenType fonts (.otf) can be copied there too
        > but need Adobe Type Manager Light to work.
        > That's free, at:
        > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?
        product=15&platform=Macintosh

        John R.
      • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
          Lots of good tips. Thanks John!

          --
          /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
          Legal Director

          mailto:rwilson@...

          Ph: (515) 243 4032
          Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
            You bet. But I forgot to suggest what might be the simplest
            solution. If that Century Schoolbook font was your default,
            you could fix the issue by changing the Font setting in
            Preferences.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson"