Re: [wpmac] problems opening from WP3.1

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Use a utility to examine the Creator and Type codes of one of the old
      documents. They should be WPC2 and WPD2, respectively.

      OS X utilities that can examine and change these codes include X-Ray
      and FileXaminer. A free OS 9 program is ResEdit:
      <http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/ResEdit_2.1.3.sea.bin>

      If you use ResEdit, dismiss the startup screen by clicking on it,
      then choose the Get Info command (cmd-I).
      --

      Bob Stern
    • Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
        "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

        2. If that does not work, consider using MacLink Plus which can do
        two things that might help you:
        a. Fix type and creator settings
        b. Translate documents from older versions of Mac WP to 3.5e

        --
        /S/ Randall

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          > 1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
          > "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

          In Tiger, you can add a command to the Finder's contextual menu
          to open a file in WP:

          1. Launch Automator and click on Finder in the Library column.
          2. In the Action column, drag Open Finder Items to the empty
          area on the right-hand side.
          3. In the Action itself, click the "Open with" pop-up and set
          it to WordPerfect.
          4. Select File > Save as Plug-in.
          5. In the dialog that appears, enter the name you want to give
          to the plugin (e.g. "Open in WordPerfect") in the "Save Plug-in As"
          field, and set the "Plug-in for" pop-up to Finder.
          6. Click the Save button.

          Then just control-click on a file and, in the Automator menu,
          you'll see the Open in WordPerfect command.

          Thanks to macosxhints.com for this tip.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "vazahagirl" <vazahagirl@...> wrote:

            > Â…the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my
            > documents; it won't even let me try to open them with it.

            "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
            is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
            type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
            to read the file).

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

              > "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
              > is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
              > type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
              > to read the file).

              New in this update: the option to make the dropped files open
              in WP by default.