Re: [wpmac] problems opening from WP3.1

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      Not much help, but I just opened files I last opened in 1995, 1996
      and 1997. One was 204kb, another 112kb. No problems. I fear
      corruption. Have you rebuilt the desktop (System Preferences/Classic
      - Advanced)? That may associate the files with WordPerfect 3.5e.

      Geoff

      >hi, i hope someone here can help me...
      >
      >i have some old (late 90's) documents that were saved in WP, they
      >seem to have been saved
      >in 3.1. i downloaded the free 3.5 version plus the update and am
      >running it on my os 10.4.
      >the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my documents; it
      >won't even let me try to
      >open them with it. i was able to open a few of the more recent ones
      >with abi edit, but it
      >crashes when i try to open the slightly older ones (perhaps they're
      >an even older version of
      >WP?). i was also able to open a couple of the very small files with
      >textedit, but it can't handle
      >the larger ones.
      >
      >does anyone have ideas of what the problem might be or how to fix
      >it? i suppose it's possible
      >that the files are so old that they've been corrupted, but i'm
      >hoping there's still some way to
      >get into them.
      >
      >thanks
      >julie
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Use a utility to examine the Creator and Type codes of one of the old
        documents. They should be WPC2 and WPD2, respectively.

        OS X utilities that can examine and change these codes include X-Ray
        and FileXaminer. A free OS 9 program is ResEdit:
        <http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/ResEdit_2.1.3.sea.bin>

        If you use ResEdit, dismiss the startup screen by clicking on it,
        then choose the Get Info command (cmd-I).
        --

        Bob Stern
      • Randall C. Wilson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
          "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

          2. If that does not work, consider using MacLink Plus which can do
          two things that might help you:
          a. Fix type and creator settings
          b. Translate documents from older versions of Mac WP to 3.5e

          --
          /S/ Randall

          mailto:rwilson@...

          Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            > 1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
            > "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

            In Tiger, you can add a command to the Finder's contextual menu
            to open a file in WP:

            1. Launch Automator and click on Finder in the Library column.
            2. In the Action column, drag Open Finder Items to the empty
            area on the right-hand side.
            3. In the Action itself, click the "Open with" pop-up and set
            it to WordPerfect.
            4. Select File > Save as Plug-in.
            5. In the dialog that appears, enter the name you want to give
            to the plugin (e.g. "Open in WordPerfect") in the "Save Plug-in As"
            field, and set the "Plug-in for" pop-up to Finder.
            6. Click the Save button.

            Then just control-click on a file and, in the Automator menu,
            you'll see the Open in WordPerfect command.

            Thanks to macosxhints.com for this tip.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "vazahagirl" <vazahagirl@...> wrote:

              > Â…the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my
              > documents; it won't even let me try to open them with it.

              "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
              is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
              type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
              to read the file).

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

                > "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
                > is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
                > type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
                > to read the file).

                New in this update: the option to make the dropped files open
                in WP by default.