problems opening from WP3.1

  • vazahagirl
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      hi, i hope someone here can help me...

      i have some old (late 90's) documents that were saved in WP, they seem to have been saved
      in 3.1. i downloaded the free 3.5 version plus the update and am running it on my os 10.4.
      the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my documents; it won't even let me try to
      open them with it. i was able to open a few of the more recent ones with abi edit, but it
      crashes when i try to open the slightly older ones (perhaps they're an even older version of
      WP?). i was also able to open a couple of the very small files with textedit, but it can't handle
      the larger ones.

      does anyone have ideas of what the problem might be or how to fix it? i suppose it's possible
      that the files are so old that they've been corrupted, but i'm hoping there's still some way to
      get into them.

      thanks
      julie
    • Neil Kosh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
        >hi, i hope someone here can help me...
        >
        >i have some old (late 90's) documents that were saved in WP, they
        >seem to have been saved
        >in 3.1. i downloaded the free 3.5 version plus the update and am
        >running it on my os 10.4.
        >the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my documents; it
        >won't even let me try to
        >open them with it. i was able to open a few of the more recent ones
        >with abi edit, but it
        >crashes when i try to open the slightly older ones (perhaps they're
        >an even older version of
        >WP?). i was also able to open a couple of the very small files with
        >textedit, but it can't handle
        >the larger ones.
        >
        >does anyone have ideas of what the problem might be or how to fix
        >it? i suppose it's possible
        >that the files are so old that they've been corrupted, but i'm
        >hoping there's still some way to
        >get into them.
        >
        >thanks
        >julie

        I open old WordPerfect file with WordPerfect 2.0.
        It's a 2.8 MB file. Whistle and I'll stuff it and try to send it to you.

        Neil Kosh
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
          Not much help, but I just opened files I last opened in 1995, 1996
          and 1997. One was 204kb, another 112kb. No problems. I fear
          corruption. Have you rebuilt the desktop (System Preferences/Classic
          - Advanced)? That may associate the files with WordPerfect 3.5e.

          Geoff

          >hi, i hope someone here can help me...
          >
          >i have some old (late 90's) documents that were saved in WP, they
          >seem to have been saved
          >in 3.1. i downloaded the free 3.5 version plus the update and am
          >running it on my os 10.4.
          >the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my documents; it
          >won't even let me try to
          >open them with it. i was able to open a few of the more recent ones
          >with abi edit, but it
          >crashes when i try to open the slightly older ones (perhaps they're
          >an even older version of
          >WP?). i was also able to open a couple of the very small files with
          >textedit, but it can't handle
          >the larger ones.
          >
          >does anyone have ideas of what the problem might be or how to fix
          >it? i suppose it's possible
          >that the files are so old that they've been corrupted, but i'm
          >hoping there's still some way to
          >get into them.
          >
          >thanks
          >julie
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            Use a utility to examine the Creator and Type codes of one of the old
            documents. They should be WPC2 and WPD2, respectively.

            OS X utilities that can examine and change these codes include X-Ray
            and FileXaminer. A free OS 9 program is ResEdit:
            <http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/ResEdit_2.1.3.sea.bin>

            If you use ResEdit, dismiss the startup screen by clicking on it,
            then choose the Get Info command (cmd-I).
            --

            Bob Stern
          • Randall C. Wilson
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
              1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
              "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

              2. If that does not work, consider using MacLink Plus which can do
              two things that might help you:
              a. Fix type and creator settings
              b. Translate documents from older versions of Mac WP to 3.5e

              --
              /S/ Randall

              mailto:rwilson@...

              Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                > 1. Hold down the option key while highlighting the file and choose
                > "Open With"----navigate to WP 3.5e

                In Tiger, you can add a command to the Finder's contextual menu
                to open a file in WP:

                1. Launch Automator and click on Finder in the Library column.
                2. In the Action column, drag Open Finder Items to the empty
                area on the right-hand side.
                3. In the Action itself, click the "Open with" pop-up and set
                it to WordPerfect.
                4. Select File > Save as Plug-in.
                5. In the dialog that appears, enter the name you want to give
                to the plugin (e.g. "Open in WordPerfect") in the "Save Plug-in As"
                field, and set the "Plug-in for" pop-up to Finder.
                6. Click the Save button.

                Then just control-click on a file and, in the Automator menu,
                you'll see the Open in WordPerfect command.

                Thanks to macosxhints.com for this tip.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "vazahagirl" <vazahagirl@...> wrote:

                  > Â…the program seems to work ok, but it's not reading my
                  > documents; it won't even let me try to open them with it.

                  "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
                  is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
                  type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
                  to read the file).

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

                    > "Open in WordPerfect.sit", free in the Files section here,
                    > is a drag-and-drop applet: drop one or more files of any
                    > type on it to open them in WP (WP may or may not be able
                    > to read the file).

                    New in this update: the option to make the dropped files open
                    in WP by default.