Re: Saving in Classic mode

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "queryist2005" <ronfradkin@a...> wrote:

      > I'm a subscriber to WP for Macs @... just posted this
      > query there. I recently learned of this group, so I'm posting it
      > again here, with apologies to those who have already seen it.
      >
      > I use my WP in both system 9 and in Classic under OS X
      > (10.2.8). When I change an existing document and save it, rather
      > than make the changes in the original document it automatically
      > saves the newly changed document as "WP_xx", followed by an
      > 8-digit number. It has never done this under system 9. Does
      > anyone know why it's doing this, and if there's some way I can fix
      > it? This glitch is the main reason I haven't given up using
      > system 9.

      The WP_xx is a temp file on disk containing changes you haven't
      saved to the named file. I think what you're seeing is an indexing
      issue, where the OS sees changes to the xx file, goes to index it
      and prevents WP from swapping it with the named file when you
      save changes. I noticed this intermittently under Panther (I never
      used Jaguar). Rebuilding your desktop, and quitting WP and
      deleting the Prefs file (in the WordPerfect folder in the
      Preferences folder in the Classic System Folder) may help.

      Gero Herrman's Spotlight plug-in 1.0.2 (in the Files section here),
      for Tiger's index/search feature, fixes it. Spotlight is vastly
      better than the search feature in earlier versions of OSX, and
      Tiger in general is worth the upgrade IAC, for Classic printing
      and other improvements.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
        I had this, but only from 10.3 onwards. It's something to do with OS
        X's 'indexing' of files - the temp file get's indexed. Indeed, for a
        while, I had to check which was the most up to date version of the
        file when I finished working on it: the file as I named it, or the
        WP_xx?????. The problem was eventually solved in Tiger, but not by
        Apple. Tiger indexes files, too, for Spotlight. Gero Hermann produced
        a Spotlight-er for WP that specifically does not index WP temp files
        and, therefore, only the named version is preserved. It requires
        Tiger and the WP Spotlight Plugin, but the problem vanishes.

        Geoff