Re: [wpmac] Wintel emulator for OSX

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
      John Rethorst said:

      >http://openosx.com/wintel/
      >
      >runs Windows on Intel Macs at "nearly native" speed.
      >
      >First of many such things, I suspect.

      Indeed. This product:

      DarWine (free and open source)
      http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

      ...when finished, should allow the use of Windows applications on your
      Intel-based Mac without even having to purchase or install a copy of
      Windows!

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:

        > Indeed. This product:
        >
        > DarWine (free and open source)
        > http://darwine.opendarwin.org/
        >
        > ...when finished, should allow the use of Windows
        > applications on your Intel-based Mac without even having
        > to purchase or install a copy of Windows!

        That's phenomenal. I don't have a technical background, but
        I don't understand how they can do that without writing a
        full-bore clone of Windows. Reminds me of several years ago
        when someone tried to clone the Mac OS: they had to keep a
        paper trail to avoid any Apple charges of reverse
        engineering, but did release it. In practice it had to be
        tested to work with each application. It didn't work with
        Excel (MS non-standard programming again), and expired
        shortly thereafter. How could this Darwine product run
        Windows apps on an Intel chip without being essentially a
        clone of Windows?

        That said, I wonder if this isn't a significant development.
        Apple sold some Mac Minis because Windows users wanted
        Mac capability, without duplicating keyboard and monitor.
        Plenty of users on both sides of the street would like some
        access to the other side. With the recent spat between Jobs
        and Mr. Dell, someone on the net compared hardware prices
        of current Macs and Dells and found them equivalent. If you
        can get a Mac and Windows machine out of your Mac, more
        people might buy Macs. Hmm.

        John R.
      • Andy Stoffel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2006
          From: John Rethorst <jrethorst@...>
          > Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:

          >> Indeed. This product:
          >>
          >> DarWine (free and open source)
          >> http://darwine.opendarwin.org/
          >>
          >> ...when finished, should allow the use of Windows
          >> applications on your Intel-based Mac without even having
          >> to purchase or install a copy of Windows!
          >
          >That's phenomenal. I don't have a technical background, but
          >I don't understand how they can do that without writing a
          >full-bore clone of Windows.

          Wine has been around for a while... they call it a "compatibility layer" not
          a Windows clone/emulator. Basically, it "tricks" a Windows program into
          thinking it is running under Windows.

          See: http://www.winehq.com/ and http://www.winehq.com/site/myths for details.

          Some Windows programs will work, some won't. As the saying goes YMMV.

          -Andy-

          -
          - http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/
          -
        • Douglas Bouley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2006
            my experience with Wine on Linux suggests it might be quite awhile
            before it is ready for "prime-time" on OS-X.