Re: [ANN] WP 4.0 Icon/Version updater

  • S Zaveloff
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
      John Rethorst wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:
      >

      >>I downloaded the updater but when I click on the updater icon, I
      >>get an error message that says:
      >>
      >> <<script>> doesn't understand the
      >> <<event AkuaAkuS>> message.
      >

      > Try the advice I offered Kevin in msg #2427 and 2428.

      I'm sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking
      about. I can't find a Scripting Additions folder using Spotlight.

      Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
      P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
      Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
      http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

      "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
      judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:

        > I'm sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking
        > about. I can't find a Scripting Additions folder using Spotlight.

        The Akua Sweets scripting addition must be in the Scripting
        Additions folder in your OS 9 System Folder. Install as per the Icon/
        Version Updater doc, and restart.

        This is the same for users on OS 8 and 9. For OS 7x, the Scripting
        Additions folder is in the Extensions folder of the System Folder.

        Spotlight does not, by default, index the [OS 9] System folder. To
        index that folder, run this Applescript:

        do shell script "mdimport -f /\"System Folder\""

        I use the free utility EasyFind, in addition to Spotlight. It's slower,
        since it doesn't index, but it searches everywhere and has a nice
        set of options.
      • S Zaveloff
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
          John Rethorst wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:
          >

          >>I downloaded the updater but when I click on the updater icon, I
          >>get an error message that says:
          >>
          >> <<script>> doesn't understand the
          >> <<event AkuaAkuS>> message.
          >

          > Try the advice I offered Kevin in msg #2427 and 2428.

          What does "run as an applet" mean?

          I'm sorry, but I'm new to the Mac (I was using OS/2 until IBM
          killed it) and I don't understand this. Please forgive my
          lack of understanding.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:

            > What does "run as an applet" mean?

            Run on its own, i.e. by double-clicking its icon.

            > I'm sorry, but I'm new to the Mac (I was using OS/2 until IBM
            > killed it) and I don't understand this. Please forgive my
            > lack of understanding.

            My only concern is that for every one who asks a question,
            there may be 50 or 100 people who don't ask.

            We support WP at all levels. After all these years, it appears
            that there is a total of two Mac applications that adequately
            support serious writing. Many people are still coming to the
            Mac, or giving up on another word processor, and this forum
            was never intended to be for experts only (although I'm glad
            we have several). That said, any member is welcome to jump
            in and answer questions.

            John R.
          • S Zaveloff
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
              John Rethorst wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:
              >

              >>What does "run as an applet" mean?
              >

              > Run on its own, i.e. by double-clicking its icon.

              When I double click on the Splash Screen icon, the AppleScript
              Utility window opens. Now what?

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:

                > When I double click on the Splash Screen icon, the AppleScript
                > Utility window opens. Now what?

                That shouldn't happen, with a Classic applet. I'd suggest repairing
                permissions (with Disk Utility, which came with your Mac) and
                then restarting. Can anyone think of anything else?
              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 8, 2006
                  Everyone make sure you have the latest version of that Akua Sweets scripting addition.

                  Best I can remember he updated that script several times. I know I had
                  to install the latest version several different times.

                  John Rethorst wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking
                  > > about. I can't find a Scripting Additions folder using Spotlight.
                  >
                  > The Akua Sweets scripting addition must be in the Scripting
                  > Additions folder in your OS 9 System Folder. Install as per the Icon/
                  > Version Updater doc, and restart.
                  >
                  > This is the same for users on OS 8 and 9. For OS 7x, the Scripting
                  > Additions folder is in the Extensions folder of the System Folder.
                  >
                  > Spotlight does not, by default, index the [OS 9] System folder. To
                  > index that folder, run this Applescript:
                  >
                  > do shell script "mdimport -f /\"System Folder\""
                  >
                  > I use the free utility EasyFind, in addition to Spotlight. It's slower,
                  > since it doesn't index, but it searches everywhere and has a nice
                  > set of options.

                  If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                  mailto:pjones@...

                  <http://www.vpea.org>
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 8, 2006
                    Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for a splash screen. Pardon
                    my grumpiness, but who cares what the splash screen looks like? I want
                    to use the program to do stuff, not devote a lot of time to get it to
                    do something that is going to, by definition, flash (or splash) across
                    my screen for a few moments. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm
                    denigrating what is probably some good work; but I just don't get it.
                    --Rick Albright

                    On Jan 7, 2006, at 6:56 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Crawford <crawf023@u...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I love the splash screen, but can't get it to load.  I've got the
                    > osax
                    > > in the scripting folder, and managed to get the WP4 icon to work,
                    > but
                    > > this has me stuck.  I'm getting the "script doesn't understand the
                    > event
                    > > AkuaakuaS message." Any ideas?
                    >
                    > I'm stumped, since the first thing both scripts do is check for the
                    > Akua osax.
                    > Try this: navigate to your Scripting Additions folder, highlight
                    > Akua, and do
                    > a Get Info - sort of reminds the OS that the file is there. Then open
                    > Script
                    > Editor, a small program that comes with the Mac. Within that, open the
                    > Splash screen script. Add and then delete a space anywhere in the
                    > script.
                    > Click the Compile button, then choose Save from the File menu, and
                    > close
                    > the script. Let me know how that works.
                    >
                    > John R.
                    >

                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >
                    > ▪  Visit your group "wordperfectmac" on the web.

                    > Service.

                  • russellhwalker
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2006
                      <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                      > I'm stumped, since the first thing both scripts do is check for the
                      Akua osax.
                      > Try this: navigate to your Scripting Additions folder, highlight
                      Akua, and do
                      > a Get Info - sort of reminds the OS that the file is there. Then
                      open Script
                      > Editor, a small program that comes with the Mac. Within that, open the
                      > Splash screen script. Add and then delete a space anywhere in the
                      script.
                      > Click the Compile button, then choose Save from the File menu, and close
                      > the script. Let me know how that works.
                      >
                      > John R.

                      John, I think the problem may be that you were an "early adopter" of
                      the scripts and these people are doing a clean install. Just for
                      grins, to see what all the issues were, I tried it moments ago on an
                      already-working fairly vanilla WP 3.5e with updater install, got the
                      same error message reported in this forum, and here's what I had to do
                      to get the icon updater script to work for a Mac OS X installation
                      (your suggestion about add character/delete character, save/compile,
                      etc., did not work):

                      (1) download the "Akua Sweets 143" package, unstuff it, place the
                      "Akua Sweets 143" folder in the "System Folder" for OS 9 at the root
                      level of the Mac HD;

                      (2) (this step seems to be missed in the instructions) run the
                      "installer" inside the Akua Sweets 143 folder installed in step 1

                      (3) rebuild the OS 9 desktop (System Preferences, Classic pane, click
                      the Advanced button, rebuild desktop)

                      Now the updater was able to run without giving the error message.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 9, 2006
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, russellhwalker <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                        > John, I think the problem may be that you were an "early adopter" of
                        > the scripts and these people are doing a clean install. Just for
                        > grins, to see what all the issues were, I tried it moments ago on an
                        > already-working fairly vanilla WP 3.5e with updater install, got the
                        > same error message reported in this forum, and here's what I had to do
                        > to get the icon updater script to work for a Mac OS X installation
                        > (your suggestion about add character/delete character, save/compile,
                        > etc., did not work):
                        >
                        > (1) download the "Akua Sweets 143" package, unstuff it, place the
                        > "Akua Sweets 143" folder in the "System Folder" for OS 9 at the root
                        > level of the Mac HD;
                        >
                        > (2) (this step seems to be missed in the instructions) run the
                        > "installer" inside the Akua Sweets 143 folder installed in step 1
                        >
                        > (3) rebuild the OS 9 desktop (System Preferences, Classic pane, click
                        > the Advanced button, rebuild desktop)
                        >
                        > Now the updater was able to run without giving the error message.
                        > Hope this helps.

                        Good thinking! Although all the Akua installer does is put the osax
                        in the right place, the author included the installer with later versions
                        of the osax since not all users were getting the file to the right place
                        manually.

                        But in Kevin's case, he was able to run the icon/version updater
                        successfully, but could not get the splash screen applet to work.
                        Both these applets work the same way, using Akua commands to
                        replace resources. Steven at first didn't have the osax installed;
                        after he installed it and double-clicked on the splash screen
                        applet, the Applescript Utility program opened. If that's not a
                        file linking/desktop issue, I have no clue what it could be.

                        John R.
                      • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                          I have followed the whole thread on this subject, but I never saw an
                          explanation of the benefit of installing the WP 4.0 updater. I am currently using
                          the 3.5e updater in l

                        • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                            Sorry about the half-written email that got sent too soon.

                            I have followed the whole thread on this subject, but I never saw an
                            explanation of the benefit of installing the WP 4.0 updater.  I am currently using the
                            3.5e updater in Classic on my iMac G5 OSX.10.4.

                            If there is a reason for updating, where can I get the Akua Sweets 143
                            package. It is not in the Scripting Addtions folder in my System 9 Folder.

                            Thanks,
                            Ruth R.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RBRoufberg@a... wrote:

                              > I have followed the whole thread on this subject, but I never saw an
                              > explanation of the benefit of installing the WP 4.0 updater.  I am currently using the
                              > 3.5e updater in Classic on my iMac G5 OSX.10.4.

                              I think you mean the icon/version updater. It's a visual enhancement
                              only, like the splash screen. The only small functionality it might
                              have is that it sets the visible version # to 4.0.2 to correspond to the
                              internal version number.

                              What's important for functionality is that 3.5e (as downloaded from
                              sites in the Links section here) be updated with the Updater for
                              OS 8 and 9, also in the Links section.

                              > If there is a reason for updating, where can I get the Akua Sweets 143
                              > package. It is not in the Scripting Addtions folder in my System 9 Folder.

                              Akua is a nice, free, addition to your system for a number of third-party
                              enhancements, such as MetaMacro, which will run a macro on any
                              number of files at once. It's downloadable at:

                              http://osaxen.com/files/akuasweets1.4.3.html

                              or

                              http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/dev/osa/akua-sweets-143.hqx