Re: [wpmac] Re: Neo-Office export

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
      I have been playing with NeoOffice and Star Office for awhile on
      mutliple platforms, but am new to WP Mac (old time DOS/Win WP user). To
      me, the SO/OO derivitives are really nice suites, but not great as
      individual components. Big memory profile, for one thing.
      '
      fw(little)iw, my initial impression is that WPMac is a much better word
      processor in OS-X 10.4 classic mode than anything else out there running
      in any mode. I have my iBook setup to start Classic on boot, just
      because I'd rather front-load the extra time, so to speak. Having done
      that, WPM is much faster than W*rd and many other plain text editors.
      The export/import works well for me, tho' my needs there are not excessive.

      Also, the printer support for Classic apps seems better in 10.4 than it
      was in 10.3. Seemed much easier to set up printing from WPMac to my HP 4015.

      Caveat: I'm a long-time WordPerfect partisian and am running with 1.5 Gb
      of RAM. Can't say for sure if the extra RAM matters to WP, since it was
      written to run with far les, but it might.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
        >Our company is moving to 100% OS X this year and, after reading all
        >the woes on this list, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my beloved
        >WP, which I've used since the earliest DOS version.

        Under Tiger there are very few woes. WP is very stable and works
        perfectly under Classic. In Gero Hermann's Spotlight plugin we have
        an add-in that give WP Tiger functionality (and fixes a problem a few
        of us had under Panther and early versions of Tiger). Printing is now
        seamless. I can save as Word 6 which is read by all Mac OSX Word
        versions and by all Windows versions of Word. I can also save as rtf
        for other wordprocessors. John Rethorst has produced a script that
        works with Ragtime Solo (a free page layout programme) that allows
        you to drop a Word file on to it and launch the file in WP. Where's
        the woes? (Yes, I know, I cannot export a file with generated
        cross-referenced footnotes and preserve the cross-referencing ... but
        I think I'm in a minority with that particular headache!)

        Geoff

        >Thanks,
        >Gail Damerow

      • Rural Heritage
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          >Doug said: Also, the printer support for Classic apps seems better
          >in 10.4 than it
          >was in 10.3. Seemed much easier to set up printing from WPMac to my HP 4015.

          That was one of my worries, as I'm the IT person here (only because
          everyone else here knows less than I do; or rather, I'm more dogged
          about solving problems), and I don't need additional "issues" to deal
          with.

          >Caveat: I'm a long-time WordPerfect partisian and am running with 1.5 Gb
          >of RAM. Can't say for sure if the extra RAM matters to WP, since it was
          >written to run with far les, but it might.

          RAM shouldn't be a problem. Our OS X Macs all have 2G.
          Gail
        • Douglas Bouley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
            Sounds like the very definition of an IT person, Gail. IT (UNIX) is my
            main job and I feel the same way.

            If you haven't already, you might want to get the 3.5e package and
            patches here and try the whole thing out on one of your boxes. Simple
            and small. Lot's of support here, if you need it.

            The Mac WP interface reminds more of the WP UNIX interface than the
            DOS/Win versions. Pretty straight-forward, though.

            Take me with a large grain of salt, since I am new here and fairly new
            to the Mac.

            I'm jealous: I couldn't find a big enough hole to put that extra 512 mb
            in my little iBook.

            Doug

          • logres@redrose.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
              If you're in need of an all-OSX word processor, I recommend that you seriously consider Mellel (www.redlers.com). I've been working with it off and on for about a year now (and much more, recently), and I think it's an excellent product--in my opinion, superior to NeoOffice and some similar products (though, admittedly, I only gave them a limited evaluation). Once I got used to Mellel's paradigm--it uses styles for character, paragraph, page, etc., and I had not really worked with styles all that much, even in Wordperfect--I learned that it is quite well designed and very stable. It's not a beta, and I've never had any problems with document errors, system conflicts or crashes, etc. It doesn't use a lot of memory or take up that much space on disk, but it is a serious word procesor, with a lot of features for foreign language support (which I don't use, much) and academic writing (strong capabilities in managing notes, bibliographies, etc.). It isn't WordPerfect--it doesn't have the macros, for example--but I think it is a very good piece of software and the support is superb. I once reported a minor bug with importing a note, and they released a new version that fixed the problem within 48 hours. Granted, it was a small problem, but the turnaround was very impressive. And although I've been a registered user for some time, I was surprised and impressed that they gave me a free upgrade to their 2.0 version, which incorportated a number of significant enhancements. Most developers will give you minor upgrades but charge you for the point-oh versions, yet Redlers didn't. That was a big plus, in my book.

              The import and export capabilities are more limited than some products--it's pretty much text, RTF, and Word--but the RTF is pretty good; better than I'd expected, actually. I did a test of a couple of book chapters that were in WordPerfect 3.5e via RTF, and they came through, including all the endnotes, with only a couple of minor glitches. (The versions that were exported using WordPerfect's RTF translator actually required more cleanup than those done using MacLinkPlus.)

              I think it's now about $49, though there's an educational version for 34.99 or something, and a 5-user license for $69. I'm pretty sure you can still download a trial version and register later.

              Rick Albright