Re: Neo-Office export

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
      You'll still be able to use WP through Classic on Mac until, the switch
      to Intel Based Machines. At that point all bet are off whether Classic
      is alive or dead. Most likely dea, as I wouldn't think they would be
      able to run a emulator (classic), in a emulator (Roseta.

      Rural Heritage wrote:
      > I've been using Neo-Office to open files submitted to our publication
      > that won't open in WP, but the Neo-Office export options are so
      > limited I have to use .rtf. Does Neo-Office have a set of nifty
      > translators, like WP does, or is .rtf "it"?
      >
      > Our company is moving to 100% OS X this year and, after reading all
      > the woes on this list, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my beloved
      > WP, which I've used since the earliest DOS version.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Gail Damerow
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rural Heritage <editor@r...> wrote:

        > I've been using Neo-Office to open files submitted to our publication
        > that won't open in WP, but the Neo-Office export options are so
        > limited I have to use .rtf. Does Neo-Office have a set of nifty
        > translators, like WP does, or is .rtf "it"?

        <http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_File_Formats#NeoOffice_Writer> (the save/export column)

        Unfortunately, it's largely current and older Microsoft and StarOffice formats; OTOH, I know of no program today that offers as wide a selection of text output formats as WP-Mac. RTF is as neutral a lingua franca there is. (The libwpd folks at some point plan on doing a WP6 export filter to go along with the import filter, but it won't be for quite some time yet....)

        > Our company is moving to 100% OS X this year and, after reading all
        > the woes on this list, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my beloved
        > WP, which I've used since the earliest DOS version.

        My general impression was that everyone on the list thought WP-Mac ran better in Classic under Mac OS X than it ever ran under 7/8/9....

        Smokey
      • Douglas Bouley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          I have been playing with NeoOffice and Star Office for awhile on
          mutliple platforms, but am new to WP Mac (old time DOS/Win WP user). To
          me, the SO/OO derivitives are really nice suites, but not great as
          individual components. Big memory profile, for one thing.
          '
          fw(little)iw, my initial impression is that WPMac is a much better word
          processor in OS-X 10.4 classic mode than anything else out there running
          in any mode. I have my iBook setup to start Classic on boot, just
          because I'd rather front-load the extra time, so to speak. Having done
          that, WPM is much faster than W*rd and many other plain text editors.
          The export/import works well for me, tho' my needs there are not excessive.

          Also, the printer support for Classic apps seems better in 10.4 than it
          was in 10.3. Seemed much easier to set up printing from WPMac to my HP 4015.

          Caveat: I'm a long-time WordPerfect partisian and am running with 1.5 Gb
          of RAM. Can't say for sure if the extra RAM matters to WP, since it was
          written to run with far les, but it might.

          Doug

          Smokey Ardisson wrote:

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rural Heritage <editor@r...> wrote:
          >

          >>I've been using Neo-Office to open files submitted to our publication
          >>that won't open in WP, but the Neo-Office export options are so
          >>limited I have to use .rtf. Does Neo-Office have a set of nifty
          >>translators, like WP does, or is .rtf "it"?
          >>

          ><http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_File_Formats#NeoOffice_Writer> (the save/export column)
          >
          >Unfortunately, it's largely current and older Microsoft and StarOffice formats; OTOH, I know of no program today that offers as wide a selection of text output formats as WP-Mac. RTF is as neutral a lingua franca there is. (The libwpd folks at some point plan on doing a WP6 export filter to go along with the import filter, but it won't be for quite some time yet....)
          >

          >>Our company is moving to 100% OS X this year and, after reading all
          >>the woes on this list, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my beloved
          >>WP, which I've used since the earliest DOS version.
          >>

          >My general impression was that everyone on the list thought WP-Mac ran better in Classic under Mac OS X than it ever ran under 7/8/9....
          >
          >Smokey
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rural Heritage

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
              >Our company is moving to 100% OS X this year and, after reading all
              >the woes on this list, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my beloved
              >WP, which I've used since the earliest DOS version.

              Under Tiger there are very few woes. WP is very stable and works
              perfectly under Classic. In Gero Hermann's Spotlight plugin we have
              an add-in that give WP Tiger functionality (and fixes a problem a few
              of us had under Panther and early versions of Tiger). Printing is now
              seamless. I can save as Word 6 which is read by all Mac OSX Word
              versions and by all Windows versions of Word. I can also save as rtf
              for other wordprocessors. John Rethorst has produced a script that
              works with Ragtime Solo (a free page layout programme) that allows
              you to drop a Word file on to it and launch the file in WP. Where's
              the woes? (Yes, I know, I cannot export a file with generated
              cross-referenced footnotes and preserve the cross-referencing ... but
              I think I'm in a minority with that particular headache!)

              Geoff

              >Thanks,
              >Gail Damerow

            • Rural Heritage
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
                >Doug said: Also, the printer support for Classic apps seems better
                >in 10.4 than it
                >was in 10.3. Seemed much easier to set up printing from WPMac to my HP 4015.

                That was one of my worries, as I'm the IT person here (only because
                everyone else here knows less than I do; or rather, I'm more dogged
                about solving problems), and I don't need additional "issues" to deal
                with.

                >Caveat: I'm a long-time WordPerfect partisian and am running with 1.5 Gb
                >of RAM. Can't say for sure if the extra RAM matters to WP, since it was
                >written to run with far les, but it might.

                RAM shouldn't be a problem. Our OS X Macs all have 2G.
                Gail
              • Douglas Bouley
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Sounds like the very definition of an IT person, Gail. IT (UNIX) is my
                  main job and I feel the same way.

                  If you haven't already, you might want to get the 3.5e package and
                  patches here and try the whole thing out on one of your boxes. Simple
                  and small. Lot's of support here, if you need it.

                  The Mac WP interface reminds more of the WP UNIX interface than the
                  DOS/Win versions. Pretty straight-forward, though.

                  Take me with a large grain of salt, since I am new here and fairly new
                  to the Mac.

                  I'm jealous: I couldn't find a big enough hole to put that extra 512 mb
                  in my little iBook.

                  Doug

                • logres@redrose.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
                    If you're in need of an all-OSX word processor, I recommend that you seriously consider Mellel (www.redlers.com). I've been working with it off and on for about a year now (and much more, recently), and I think it's an excellent product--in my opinion, superior to NeoOffice and some similar products (though, admittedly, I only gave them a limited evaluation). Once I got used to Mellel's paradigm--it uses styles for character, paragraph, page, etc., and I had not really worked with styles all that much, even in Wordperfect--I learned that it is quite well designed and very stable. It's not a beta, and I've never had any problems with document errors, system conflicts or crashes, etc. It doesn't use a lot of memory or take up that much space on disk, but it is a serious word procesor, with a lot of features for foreign language support (which I don't use, much) and academic writing (strong capabilities in managing notes, bibliographies, etc.). It isn't WordPerfect--it doesn't have the macros, for example--but I think it is a very good piece of software and the support is superb. I once reported a minor bug with importing a note, and they released a new version that fixed the problem within 48 hours. Granted, it was a small problem, but the turnaround was very impressive. And although I've been a registered user for some time, I was surprised and impressed that they gave me a free upgrade to their 2.0 version, which incorportated a number of significant enhancements. Most developers will give you minor upgrades but charge you for the point-oh versions, yet Redlers didn't. That was a big plus, in my book.

                    The import and export capabilities are more limited than some products--it's pretty much text, RTF, and Word--but the RTF is pretty good; better than I'd expected, actually. I did a test of a couple of book chapters that were in WordPerfect 3.5e via RTF, and they came through, including all the endnotes, with only a couple of minor glitches. (The versions that were exported using WordPerfect's RTF translator actually required more cleanup than those done using MacLinkPlus.)

                    I think it's now about $49, though there's an educational version for 34.99 or something, and a 5-user license for $69. I'm pretty sure you can still download a trial version and register later.

                    Rick Albright