[wpmac] Re: walk me through the porcedure please

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:

      > I agree that Cathy should be able to print directly under 10.3.9 to
      > her printer using an OS 9 driver - the way that I did at home to my
      > Epson. However, I spent months trying to get my HP6100 at work to
      > print from Classic, all to no avail.

      It may be a matter of contacting HP - or upgrading to 10.4, which
      is worth it anyway IMO. Spotlight is spectacular, and other things
      are faster. OSX is a work in progress, according to Apple, but it
      showed some maturity with Tiger.

      > Happy New Year everyone

      Yes!

      John R.
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:

        > Experience with HP printers (admittedly an inkjet) is that they don't
        > work from Classic even if there are OS9 drivers, but others may have
        > had a different experience.

        I have an HP LaserJet 1300 which I print to from WP-Mac (and I suppose other Classic apps, too, but WP-Mac is the only one I can swear to) on 10.3.9.
        s well.
        I think the 1200 was the model that preceded mine, so it should ship with Mac OS 8/9 drivers a

        The setup procedure I used was something like this:
        1. Start Classic
        2. Find the Mac OS 8/9 driver installer on the HP CD (it's probably also available from HP.com) and install
        3. Set up the printer using the Desktop Printer Utility (?)--iirc, LaserWriter 8 doesn't directly support USB laser printers--choosing the correct PPD, giving it a nice name, etc.
        4. Select the print from the Print dialogue box in WP-Mac

        For some odd reason, Classic seems to forget that the printer exists between restarts, so I have to repeat steps 3 and 4 each new Classic session :-( It may be related to whether I have the printer on when Classic starts or some other wierdness, but it's not a big enough hassle for me to worry about, especially since I'm not printing every time I'm in Classic.

        Hope this helps,
        Smokey