Re: [wpmac] printer driver for Classic

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Dec 24, 2005, at 9:44 AM, Paul Meijer wrote:
      > >
      > > > I bought a new printer, a Canon Pixma IP5200R. A wonderful
      > > > printer,but ... I didn't realise that I would need a printer
      > > > driver for printing my collection of educational materials, you
      > > > guessed it, in WordPerfect 3.5e.
      > > > These are the solutions I know of: import my documents into
      > > > AbiWord, losing a considerable amount of layout settings. Or
      > > > print to PDF (printToPdf), but also that is far from perfect.
      > > > Other ideas?
      > >
      > > Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger has a new Classic feature. You can print to
      > > _any_ printer, that has a Mac OS X driver, from a Classic
      > > application. Launch the Chooser and select the LaserWriter 8
      > > driver.
      > For versions of OSX earlier than Tiger, your printer's software
      > probably includes a driver for Classic, although you may have to
      > install it manually.

      I'd really be surprised if, this far out, any new printers still include drivers for Mac OS 8/9.

      That said, if John R's tips don't work for you for some reason, you can also use the LaserWriter8 driver with any laser printer's .PPD file to print to file and let Mac OS X's Preview convert the resulting .ps file to PDF and print it to your printer. Although I own the PrintToPDF chooser extension for Mac OS 8/9, this has been my preferred way of generating PDFs from WP for the past few years; the results and the quality from Mac OS X-generated PDFs are far superior to those from PrintToPDF (unless you need the headers>PDF bookmarks feature). (And with a bit of AppleScript, you can automate the entire process so that all you have to do is the printing to file from WP and then the rest will happen automatically). Just choose a color laser's PPD file if you want to print in color, as I believe LW8 and B&W PPDs convert the colors to greyscale before saving the .ps file, unlike the Mac OS X print system.